PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
White Smoke from Exhaust

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2012, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation White Smoke from Exhaust

I have a 2005 Turbo Convertible-the maintenance was kept up, used synthetic oil. My husband was an ASE Master technician and did all the maintenance on the car. He since has decided to take care of another woman's car.

Last month, I was moving down from Atlanta to Orlando. I had the oil changed and the car checked out by a technician. The technician said everything was good. I recently had 2 belts replaced by this technician, I believe it was the serpetine and timing belt. I also just had a new battery and cables installed and new tires.

The car ran great, I drove down from Atlanta and several hundred miles here in Orlando. Today I went for a job interview and when I came out to start my car up 2 hours later - a huge puff of white smoke came out of the tail pipe. I shut it off and started it again and another puff of white smoke. My temperature gauge was functioning and started off cold and went up to mid way as usual. It has NOT overheated ever and so I drove the side roads back home. Sometimes when I accelerated it would puff out white smoke and lose power when I was accelerating. I have NOT had any lights come on, no check engine and no indications of any problems.

My fear is a head gasket leak, cracked or warped head, or could it be the intake manifold, or the Turbo? I checked the oil and it is NOT milky, it looks normal, the level isn't low, the coolant level wasn't low in the reservoir. I have to go to a new technician and I need help so I don't get taken.

I am unemployed, going through a divorce and of course broke. Ironically, my car is paid off this month too. I know this sounds like a bad country song of tears in my beer! Just my life at the moment.

What else can I check? What do I need to ask to make sure the technicians diagnoses is correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by clickhere4dawn; 11 Oct 2012 at 12:03 am. Reason: Need to add more information
Old 11 Oct 2012, 12:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: White Smoke from Exhaust

I had a similar problem recently and it was the turbo that needed to be rebuild! Also change the PCV valve that it was damage by the increase of the boost! I can send you the cell of a good mechanic here in Orlando. Send me a PM to give you the info!!! Here are some pictures when I did my turbo!

ROCKETMAN MOD'S
Old 11 Oct 2012, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would go with the PCV valve first. It's cheap and easy to get to. It's located in the drivers end of the valve cover.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Oct 2012, 07:39 am
Senior Cruiser

That's true but sorry to correct you my friend! The pcv is in the passanger side!!!! Lol!!!
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 07:52 am
Banned

Divorces suck, ive been there.

I picked up OCD due to the stress of it, coping thing I guess. Meds help with that, also a nice head doctor works through that along with my bipolar crap which made my wife want to leave me, oh well. It was undiagnosed at the time so that makes me feel better....not like I knew it and didnt do anything.

Anyway, enough dr phil crap, how many miles are on your pt? I am curious, i dont diagnose cars. There are some good ones on here that do, they will point you in the right direction.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I went against my better senses and texted & called my ex husband - he agreed he didn't think it was the head. He said to recheck the oil, check the coolant level, check the air filter.

I rechecked the oil level this morning and it's at the minimum line. The coolant level in the radiator is good too. There is also oil on the bottom of the air filter holder (at least I didn't call it a thingy) There is a small amount of oil on the air filter. So he said it's probably what the others have said. The turbo and/or PVC.

I have 78K miles on it. The PVC is on the passenger side I know - is that something some one like me - who knows just enough to get herself in trouble can replace?

Thanks again every one!
Old 11 Oct 2012, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

you can change the pvc in like a few minutes
the oil in the air filter box is normal for a turbo so that not a bad thing

i dont knwo about turbos other than i wish mine was one try thsi and see where it goes
Old 11 Oct 2012, 01:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If something IS leaking, it doesn't sound bad enough to fret over just yet.
I swear headgaskets (not head or block) will develop leaks between their layers, and never really get any worse.

Water is a byproduct of combustion, so exhausts can and do fill- only to be blown out when you open 'er up.

And, my advice, get a dog!!!! A nice, friendly, little creature that'll be super happy to see you everytime you come home, and always likes to cuddle!
Old 11 Oct 2012, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN8060 View Post
That's true but sorry to correct you my friend! The pcv is in the passanger side!!!! Lol!!!
You're right got it confused with my n/a . Don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase. My Turbo pt is on the right. It all runs together after awhile.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Oct 2012, 04:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You're right got it confused with my n/a . Don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase. My Turbo pt is on the right. It all runs together after awhile.
LOL!!! That is funny my brother! Anyway how is your car bro! How is the project so far?