Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
camshaft position sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default camshaft position sensor

I read on this forum that camshaft position sensor replacement may solve "stuttering" problem above 2500rpm. I could not read engine codes but chrysler dealership did (for $130) and got code 340. Fine, I can replace sensor but service guy says there is another sensor (maybe crank position?) that must be replaced along with cam position sensor. Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks - I have found info on this forum to be very helpful.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: camshaft position sensor

The ONLY other thing you might want to replace is the magnet inside the Camshaft sensor. Several owners had problems with that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 10:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the quick reply. I obviuosly dont know much about this but the magnet is a seperate part from the sensor? What is alternative - use the magnet that is already there? And I take it that I should not worry about whatever other sensor the service manager tried to sell me?
Old 11 Oct 2012, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

yes there is another sensor and No you do not need to replace them both
first the camshaft sensor does NOT come with the magnet i changed mine and never messed with the magnet I mean really how can a magmnet go bad???? but you will want to use a genuine MOPAR senson its cheaper to get one at Orileys but they will not last that has been proven over and over so get a OEM to start with and hopefully you will be ok

One more thing for that $120 you could ahve gotten a nice OBII scanner and then checked all you own codes its super easy to use and a good idea to have
Old 11 Oct 2012, 10:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Agree with the above especially about the buying your own scanner. You could have taken it to Autozone or a place like that and they will read the codes for free.

I bought my own scanner that reads codes plus all the sensor data and will record the data while you drive it on clearance for $115. They are really handy to have.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Many miore thanks for the help. I have read other threads where the check engine light came on and the cruiser stuttered but no codes were shown. I went to autozone 3 times and tried while it as happening but could get any codes. The service guy even said he would not charge me if they read no codes. I agree with your ideas about owning a reader but I would like to understand better which ones read what. Come to think of it, there are a great many things I would like to understand........
Old 11 Oct 2012, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

a good reader will read almost all the codes a car will throw and the booklet will tell you what they are for or some have a disk that you can run ninot your laptop and it will really give you a good understanding
Old 12 Oct 2012, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys if I could nicely hijack this thread for a moment. I was reading a do it yourself website for replacing the Cam Angle Sensor on PT Cruiser. The site said the sensor also doubles as a Cam Tensioner so the Cam Angle Sensor has to be a certain torque 20 ft pounds I believe??? Is this true? Thanks.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, your right, the cam sensor is also the cam tensioner.

115 inch pounds to torque it down correctly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 09:33 am
Young Cruiser

My wife called me this morning and told me the check engine light came on ('04 PT, 75K). I told her how to do the code check with the key, and it read code P 0340. Since she said the car was running fine, I told her to bring it back home so I could check things out.

I disconnected the battery to clear the code, and cleaned the cam sensor harness/connection with electrical spray and then took it for a 10 mile test spin and everything seems fine. LOL, I never trust simple fixes. I guess the sensor must be OK, but may go ahead and get one and put it in anyway. It does pay to always clean electrical connections on an older vehicle though, as corrosion can sometimes build up on the harness connections, causing the computer to show a problem when there really isn't.