PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
supercharger

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default supercharger

hi all my name adam this is my first post here, i have 2006 limited 2.4 pt cruiser i was thinking to add a supercharger for it, anyone can direct me in this, whats the good whats the cons? and how does it work? and whats the best types to add. waiting for help from other people from here.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: supercharger

Welcome to the forum Adam.

The ONLY supercharger that I know of that was made for the PT was back in 2001 and 2002. Haven't seen any around since then. You can add a Turbo but it takes lots of cash and even more time than it's worth. We tell most PT owners with the non-turbo charged vehicles that it's a lot easier to trade it in and look for a PT that already has a Turbo.

Sorry, but if you need more "power", you should have seen what the N/A PT could do before you bought what you have. It's a "cruiser", enjoy what you have.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

yse sir what the man said is true the NA Pts will not handle the boost of a Turbo so im almsot sure that a supercharger will tear one apart just as quick sorry its sad but true
Old 11 Oct 2012, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

here you go...
He is doing a project right now.

If you limit your total boost the NA engine will be fine with the power increase up to 30% from stock. That computes to about 50hp over stock. I think a stock PT is 130(?) so 180 is safely doable.
There are cheaper ways to make 50 hp though!

Maters makeover 2.5

[IMG]

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Oct 2012 at 11:19 am.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NitroPT
ok yes you can boost a NA but really all that work ---- all the money----- and all that time----- do you really think anyone is going to be happy with 50 little horses???? no really ???? cause after all that work thats not a good return what is that like 5psi Boost???

I can add some Noz to my na if I really wanted to id say it can handle a 50 shot of go juice and not come apart the tranny will not hold up real long btu it will work for awhile
heck maybe even a 75 would not tear it up

To turn a NA into a GT is simply not worth it to the normal guy who works for a living sell it trade it or whatever and go buy what you want and leading someone on and saying sure you can do it thats not a good thing
Old 11 Oct 2012, 02:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p1 View Post
hi all my name adam this is my first post here, i have 2006 limited 2.4 pt cruiser i was thinking to add a supercharger for it, anyone can direct me in this, whats the good whats the cons? and how does it work? and whats the best types to add. waiting for help from other people from here.
Just trade it for a PT GT...is a lot cheaper
Old 11 Oct 2012, 03:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You may read this twice, or even thrice,

But I agree with Nitro, and double down 50 HP is ALOT
Old 11 Oct 2012, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Google search shows stock PT N/A at 150 hp and 167 ft lbs. 50hp increase would put it right between a GT and a turbo lite.

If you can gain 50 hp with an N/A build at less cost than a supercharger kit and still retain streetability then a traditional N/A build would be vaiable. I have no idea if a 50hp N/A gain is doable?

Without NOX of course.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you maqy be able to get that 50hp but how long will that 2.4 take that kind of a beating the Turbo engins are not the same i think its the lower end that is beefed up and if its a auto tranny well good luck on that one
Old 11 Oct 2012, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
NitroPT
ok yes you can boost a NA but really all that work ---- all the money----- and all that time----- do you really think anyone is going to be happy with 50 little horses???? no really ???? cause after all that work thats not a good return what is that like 5psi Boost???

I can add some Noz to my na if I really wanted to id say it can handle a 50 shot of go juice and not come apart the tranny will not hold up real long btu it will work for awhile
heck maybe even a 75 would not tear it up

To turn a NA into a GT is simply not worth it to the normal guy who works for a living sell it trade it or whatever and go buy what you want and leading someone on and saying sure you can do it thats not a good thing
Hey you did not completely read my post...ease up I hear what you are saying!
Please carefully go read it again!

My quote in post #4 "There are cheaper ways to make 50 hp though!

When cars and the running gears are designed by engineers there is a over load figure that is used when designing the parts. The general rule is 40% power level increases without to much worry. I am conservative because we are not usually computing this percentage on a new drive-train so I always say 30% power level increase is usually safe figure. There are mechanical wear exception to this naturally.
I believe when the op starts finding out the cost of such an adventure then idea's of what is wanted will be different.

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Oct 2012 at 05:00 pm.