Advertisements
The smell of coolant

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2012, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default The smell of coolant

Hey all,

It has been awhile since I was on and it sucks that a problem made me come back. Over the last 2 weeks there has been the smell of coolant from under my hood. It does NOT smell in the car and there is no leak anywhere. The smell seems to be located around where the upper rad hose joins with the rad. The oil is not milky in anyway and there is NO white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I hope it has more to do with my heavy foot than the start of a major problem.....like a head gasket, any ideas would be great

Thanks

Oh and its a 2006 n/a 5 speed with 63xxx KMs
Old 13 Oct 2012, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The smell of coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTconquest View Post
Hey all,

It has been awhile since I was on and it sucks that a problem made me come back. Over the last 2 weeks there has been the smell of coolant from under my hood. It does NOT smell in the car and there is no leak anywhere. The smell seems to be located around where the upper rad hose joins with the rad. The oil is not milky in anyway and there is NO white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I hope it has more to do with my heavy foot than the start of a major problem.....like a head gasket, any ideas would be great

Thanks

Oh and its a 2006 n/a 5 speed with 63xxx KMs
Leaky radiator, hose, And the t stat housing. All these are common on our car. Water pump is also a possible cause. Start by looking closely at the T stat housing and cap. Look for streaks on this housing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I hope its not the water pump with only 63xxx KMs. My moms Neon has over 162xxxkms and no problems. I will look at the housing see if I can see anything.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 01:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I just recently changed my radiator cap for exactly your smell concern was.
Nitro's PT Cruiser post #64
Old 14 Oct 2012, 11:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Check underneath the bumper area very close. I had to replace the wifes 06' radiator in the hotel parking lot while at RTTB this year. Leak was hard to see until the crack got big enough to hit the ground.

Surprising thing it was only $128 at Autozone
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I checked it out today. The over flow was almost empty. It was below the add mark, so i put it in the air and check the rad support. Dry. Could find NO streaks on the t-stat housing or the end tanks. I'm going to add some dye tomorrow and see if that will lead the way. I may also replace the rad cap see if that helps.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In my family, we have 2 '06 PT's. In the past two weeks, both of their radiators have failed. They failed in the exact same spot, looking at the the car, they failed on the right side near the top where the aluminum core meets up with the plastic tank. Very common problem from what i've heard. One car I could smell it, but not see it until I looked very closely with a flashlight, the other car was leaking enough to cause small puddles on the ground whenever it was parked.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoplanman View Post
One car I could smell it, but not see it until I looked very closely with a flashlight, the other car was leaking enough to cause small puddles on the ground whenever it was parked.
Exactly same thing on the wifes. They can slowly leak into hidden areas and no drips for a good bit. Hers would get a little low on coolant after a while but couldnt find any leaks. It was so little gone i didnt really worry about it either but at the beach show (after driving 300+ miles down) i found where it had been going when the crack opened up enough to leak on the ground.

The nice road construction we went through for miles was kind enough to open the crack and put a nail in her tire
Old 16 Oct 2012, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I figured it out, after spend hours looking for a leak and using the dye, all it took was a pressure test on the cooling system to find out it was the rad cap .

Thanks to everyone who replyed
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTconquest View Post
Well I figured it out, after spend hours looking for a leak and using the dye, all it took was a pressure test on the cooling system to find out it was the rad cap .

Thanks to everyone who replyed
Thank's for the follow up on the cure. Will be valuable to others.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com