PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gurgling sound in coolant when trying to start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2012, 02:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Question gurgling sound in coolant when trying to start

I just got a 2002 chrysler pt cruiser given to me. I was told it was overheating. I was told the overheating was being caused from the heater core which i was suspicious of. I filled the coolant to start it and bring it into the garage. When i had my wife try to start it and roll it into the garage it was pushing the water back out from the filler neck. The engine would not start so i pushed the car into the garage and proceeded to take the upper intake off to get to spark plugs and check for spark. As soon as i got the upper intake off i seen a creamy substance in the intake. I then pull the number 4 plug and seems to be very clean not brown as it should be normally. My first thoughts are that it is a head gasket but as this is the first PT Cruiser i have had I thought i woudl ask for some professional opinions.

Any help and guidance greatly appreciated.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 02:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: gurgling sound in coolant when trying to start

Gosh, it does sound like a massive leak of combustion gas into the cooling system.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 03:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Red face Re: gurgling sound in coolant when trying to start

Are there any further tests you would do before going ahead and replacing head gasket.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would do a chemical test of the coolant to make sure. Pushing coolant out of the system could be nothing but air in the system or a leak somewhere. You can do some searching on here and Google for lots of info on cooling issues on these cars.

Just so you know these cars are hard to bleed. Use the bleed screw and the proper procedure to make sure you get all the air out o it.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 03:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
I would do a chemical test of the coolant to make sure. Pushing coolant out of the system could be nothing but air in the system or a leak somewhere. You can do some searching on here and Google for lots of info on cooling issues on these cars.

Just so you know these cars are hard to bleed. Use the bleed screw and the proper procedure to make sure you get all the air out o it.
ok will do and what about the creamy substance in the intake manifold it is like oil and antifreeze mixed.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not sure what that would be because not sure how it would get there. What does the oil look like. Does it have a milky appearance? Does the coolant have a brown appearance?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Not sure what that would be because not sure how it would get there. What does the oil look like. Does it have a milky appearance? Does the coolant have a brown appearance?
oil looks good coolant can't tell because it was empty when it got here.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Milky stuff is just oil and water mixed- Or an 'emulsion'.

This could certainly be an indicator of headgasket / other failure, but could be engine was run short trips and crankcase ventilation system wasn't maintained or was obstructed.

There's very little occurring at cranking speed with cooling system- engine is turning a couple hundred RPM and tiny Water Pump impeller isn't doing anything much, letalone moving a noticeable mass of coolant.

I just don't see any other explanation; however, at that severe of leak I would've expected to see coolant in cylinders
Old 14 Oct 2012, 09:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Milky stuff is just oil and water mixed- Or an 'emulsion'.

This could certainly be an indicator of headgasket / other failure, but could be engine was run short trips and crankcase ventilation system wasn't maintained or was obstructed.

There's very little occurring at cranking speed with cooling system- engine is turning a couple hundred RPM and tiny Water Pump impeller isn't doing anything much, letalone moving a noticeable mass of coolant.

I just don't see any other explanation; however, at that severe of leak I would've expected to see coolant in cylinders
so if it were yours would you go ahead and do head gasket. Would doing a cooling system pressure test reveal anything. Also am going to run compression test will let you know the results.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

You seem really intent on wanting to replace the head gasket. Be aware it is a very extensive job and time consuming. Since you have to tear it down so far to do it you might as well do the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner while you have it tore apart.

My concern is you haven't really done any troubleshooting to make sure that is what is wrong and you do all this work and you still have issues. Then you troubleshoot and find something simple.