Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser keeps running empty

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2012, 09:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser keeps running empty

Well it's my wife's car. I had an earlier thread where I thought it was the starter or spark plugs but turned out it was just bone dry. The guy told us to fill it when it hit 1/4 of a tank but with it less than 50% (as shown on the gauge) it would not start so I think that's the point where it may be empty.

ISSUE: Wife is not good about keeping an eye on this issue. repair man said it was the fuel modulator unit???? Anyone have any suggestions as hwo to proceed in getting this fixed on the cheap?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser keeps running empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmaraude View Post
Well it's my wife's car. I had an earlier thread where I thought it was the starter or spark plugs but turned out it was just bone dry. The guy told us to fill it when it hit 1/4 of a tank but with it less than 50% (as shown on the gauge) it would not start so I think that's the point where it may be empty.

ISSUE: Wife is not good about keeping an eye on this issue. repair man said it was the fuel modulator unit???? Anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed in getting this fixed on the cheap?
I'am no lawyer but divorces are real expensive and she will want to keep the House all the furniture, the fish, Dog and the PT! It cheaper to keep her!

I was wondering how the shop determined it to be a FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT / SENSOR in the fuel pump pack and not the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ?

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Oct 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

check the cluster first. you can turn the key off and on 5 times fast(while holding the trip reset button) to check the instrument cluster. it the gauge does not move properly, you'll see it and know the cluster is the problem

---

odds are you will need to buy another fuel pump assembly. depending how cheap you are trying to be, you can do it for $45 if you get a used one or $170 if you buy a new one.

pt cruiser fuel pump assembly | eBay

the chrysler fuel line connectors come off really easy. they have little colored clips you press the color tab in and they pull off really easily. i just had my tank out and it wasn't bad at all. no fuel spilled or anything. only bad part when i did it is my tank was full(heavy)

or get her a gallon can and put it in the trunk. she'll learn to keep enough in there.

Last edited by rob342; 17 Oct 2012 at 11:39 am.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey rob342 the key power on initiation procedure is is not really an altogether conclusive test? Diagnostic testing actually requires the use of a DRB III scan tool to run a Instrument cluster function and accuracy test. And the factory prescribed self diagnostic is a bit more complicated. And still usually requires a SCAN to determine gauge specific problems?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 11:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hey rob342 the key power on initiation procedure is is not really an altogether conclusive test?
no i suppose not, but if the gauge did not move full sweep it would quickly identify the problem. when i do it, mine precisely goes half way, then all the way to full, then past full, and down to empty.

after having my tank apart and seeing how burnt and varnished my fuel level resistor looked, i would say with 99% certainty that the sender is the problem
NitroPT likes this.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys I will definitely try this out tonight. I like the $40 dollar route. I've already invested too much into the car as is after buying it for 3500. Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you guys I will definitely try this out tonight. I like the $40 dollar route. I've already invested too much into the car as is after buying it for 3500. Oh well. Live and learn.
We will see how you feel after that install...

Its is technically speaking mechanically easy to change but what fun getting in the area to change it!
ask rob342!

Hope that it works out for you!

Step 1
Turn off engine before performing any work on the fuel system
had to say it...............

REMOVAL
WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE
BEFORE SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS.
SERVICE VEHICLES IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS
AND AVOID IGNITION SOURCES. NEVER SMOKE
WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE.

WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL
PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE
TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR
MAY SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Oct 2012 at 12:21 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=NitroPT;452461]We will see how you feel after that install...

Its is technically speaking mechanically easy to change but what fun getting in the area to change it!
ask rob342!

Hope that it works out for you!

Well, I have a guy who does work for $25.00 an hour. How many billable hours would you estimate a job like this would take?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Well, I have a guy who does work for $25.00 an hour. How many billable hours would you estimate a job like this would take?

The draining of the tank is the most labor time consuming. After that maybe an hour? If the mechanic is not experienced with changing tank modular packs then 2 hours? Treat him/her to snacks and beverages and you should get the job done for 50 or less!