PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mechanic Says Timing Belt is About To Go...?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mechanic Says Timing Belt is About To Go...?

We bought this PT a little less than a year ago with 120k miles on it; it's up to about 126k now. The previous owners changed the timing belt at 98k miles, meaning this belt is not even 30k miles old. However, we took the car to a mechanic for a checkup, and they're saying that the timing belt could snap at any moment and ruin the motor, and that it's $1500 to fix that alone...

I've read some information and talked to some other PT owners, and they all said that a timing belt should last 70k to 100k miles.

The car has other problems with the clutch and various seals, and also needs it's motor mounts replaced..

So my question really is, is this mechanic pulling our chain, or is it really possible the belt is going?

Thanks for reading and replying!!
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mechanic Says Timing Belt is About To Go...?

If it was indeed changed when the other owner said, then you should have nothing to worry about. MOST of the time (unless the belt is shredding) you can't tell when it's about to go.

First, I'd get a second opinion. Second, the PT's engine is a non-interference engine and you only bend a valve or two if the belt breaks which goes to show you the mechanic is trying to scare you into replacing the belt because the job is mostly labor (5 to 7 hours) and runs around $1000 itself.

We advise everyone that asks, to change the belt around 100,000 miles.
OurPTGT and Badglas like this.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ditto, it's sounds like BS to me also! At the very least you need to find a new shop!

If the belt is shredding, that would be apparent and I would think he would have called and said"you need to see this!" if he didn't it because there is no damage. Your probably lucky he did not cut it himself!

Why and how was it being looked at anyway?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for answers dudes!

We were having it looked at because we went to Grease Monkey and they mentioned that the clutch fluid was leaking, among oil and other things, like all the seals went at once

It's definitely due for a clutch repair, we knew that already, but the mech we took it to says it'll be over $4000 to do all the work on it... +/- $1000 in air conditioner repair.

Nowhere in his notes did he say it was shredded but I suppose it's possible; we didn't see for ourselves.

Definitely get a second opinion then?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylad8528 View Post

Definitely get a second opinion then?
YES ...and maybe a third.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As everyone said go somewhere else. Where are you from? Prices are at the higher end of the scale for sure. Valve cover gasket set will cure biggest part of the leaks on a pt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Oct 2012, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

and that kit is like $80 bucks??????and if the belt is shreading then it most likely was not put on right the first time----just saying
Old 18 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm
Young Cruiser

I have 155K on my PT. Firestone quoted me $960 tax included for timing belt, sepentine belt, pulleys and water pump. What else should I do at this mileage?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Alternator belt and timing belt tensioner. BUT, ask them if they have done a PT Cruiser belt before. If they haven't, I'd walk away or get a really good warranty/guarantee that if it's not right, they will do it over again until it is right.

We've had lots of stories on the forum about places like Pep Boys, Firestone, Jiffy lube, Goodyear all doing the timing belt and not doing it right.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Alternator belt and timing belt tensioner. BUT, ask them if they have done a PT Cruiser belt before. If they haven't, I'd walk away or get a really good warranty/guarantee that if it's not right, they will do it over again until it is right.

We've had lots of stories on the forum about places like Pep Boys, Firestone, Jiffy lube, Goodyear all doing the timing belt and not doing it right.
Thanks for the caution, I really appreciate it. Fortunatley, I know the guys at this partucular Firestone store and have been trading there for years. They have done a number of timing belt jobs PTs and the warrantee is 12k/12 months. The original quote included the alt. belt but did not include the timing belt tensioner. When I called in this morning, the first thing the guy says to me, "I've been looking at your order and I forgot the timing belt tensioner". SO fo another 59.00 bucks I've included that. The other upside of this for me is the six months, no interest on whatever all or part of the money. That helps me right now. I need other work which I am going to ask about in a separate post.
Matt

Tags
belt, clutch, maintenance, timing