Advertisements
Mild performance Upgrade Questions

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mild performance Upgrade Questions

Hello,

I bought my '06 Limited new. It is my daily driver and after 5+ years I decided to tart it up a bit. I have so far put on slotted rotors, f&r sway bars, Airaid filter and nice aluminum wheels with new Bridgestone Potenzas. I like the upgrades very much. I would like a little more power for my non-turbo. I am a 69 y.o. car nut, not a young tuner, so I want a modest increase and don't want to be loud, so when considering a low restriction exhaust, I would like suggestions for a system that adds power, but not a lot of noise. Thoughts? I also wonder about chips or remapping the ECU. Does this give good results and does it create problems? Can it shorten engine life, reduce gas mileage? I would like help from those of you who have experience with the above plus other ideas that might be useful. I already have a sports car for the weekend, but my PT gets the weekday work and I want to stop the boredom of low power. Thanks!

Dennis
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mild performance Upgrade Questions

Dennis a but late for a long response but may I say with your current list you might want to add a set of Stainless Steel brake lines like StopTech?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 06:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi NitroPT,

I'll look into that. Is this a heat issue? Do you have any comments on the engine power upgrades, or who might have some experience with that?
Thanks, I appreciate any help.

dmajor1943
Old 23 Oct 2012, 07:52 am
Senior Cruiser

There really isn't any upgrades for the n/a 2.4 that will make a difference.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For the engine it would be a combination of a few things. CAI, Ignition,exhaust, and a cam. That would give you about 7- 18+ hp gain? As for the ECU I a have still been looking into what can be done. I am not one that recommends the pre- programmed chips. Aside from a rather expensive DIY like Mega Squirt or stand alone ECU there just is nothing else for ECU Calibrating for the NA PT.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You say Airaid filter - is that the Airaide intake that replaced the stock filter box?
If so, the only other thing you can do is exhaust - there really is no other upgrade unless you want to tackle cams, etc.
An easy, modest exhaust upgrade is to get a turbo exhaust - it flows better and is only a little louder.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well actually the exhaust is a no no the non turbo needs the back pressure so a flow through is no a good thing
wires and plugs are not going to do anything unless what you have are total junk and it is missing
the coil in the PT is as good if not better than the MSD ons
like already said if you want to go into the motor a cam swap is about all you can do

Ok so a 50 shot of Noz is a good add on and not real expensive but probaly not practical for your application

the non Pt is just what it says a nice daily driver with enought go to run with most anything on the freeway and some coool looks
XtrmDC2 and Ray_Dockrey like this.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You might consider dual exhaust as well. IMO it also give the car a little more custom look to ad to your mods.

Photo of your progress would be nice! Can relate to the 69 years young

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well actually the exhaust is a no no the non turbo needs the back pressure so a flow through is no a good thing
wires and plugs are not going to do anything unless what you have are total junk and it is missing
the coil in the PT is as good if not better than the MSD ons
like already said if you want to go into the motor a cam swap is about all you can do

Ok so a 50 shot of Noz is a good add on and not real expensive but probaly not practical for your application

the non Pt is just what it says a nice daily driver with enought go to run with most anything on the freeway and some coool looks

Gosh ..and I suppose you told you kids there is no Easter Bunny, Santa Claus or Lepricons!!!

Lets take you response one at a time....
In order to improve low end torque from any stock engine would be to match the engines VE and CFM exhaust flow. The NA PT stock exhaust is restrictive in this nature as is the Turbo Model don't be fooled otherwise. The system was not designed for the most efficient output but a combination of cost, emissions, noise and minimum required flow capacities. So by changing to a higher rated CFM muffler alone will increase the torque output and up the HP slightly. This will not cause a decrease enough in back pressure to lower performance out from stock levels. You could even go with a complete 2.25 or 2.50 exhaust with a muffler rated at 425+CFM wrap the whole exhaust system to maintain exhaust temperature and thereby increasing and maintaining the exhaust velocity which will increase HP.
When ever the thought comes to mind with increasing engines output the first thing to always do is upgrade the secondary ignition system. This includes new spark plug of a single electrode type, and quality proven name brand ignition spark plug wires. Having the spark leak out the wire under load can cause misfires and power loss. This is very common with some of the junk wires that are being used under the guise of "performance "wires. Seeing this on an Oscilloscope makes a believer of what is good and not. That said my number one recommendation is MSD.

I would have recommend a water/Methanol or plain water injection system. In the case of this OP a Nitrous system does not to fall in what I believe is the goal? A water injection system will increase the fuel vaporization making the fuel more efficient which means less power loss and will keep the combustion chamber and piston tops clean of carbon build up. That alone makes it a very good consideration.

The NA only real short coming is the fact that there is limited access to ECU changes which ultimately ties everything together. But you can work around it to some limited degree with careful performance parts choices.

I have never met an engine I could not up the Horsepower on!
My signature says it all:
"The smallest things overlooked can make the biggest changes"
NicksCruiser likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Oct 2012 at 10:00 am.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nitro

That is some good info thank you for posting
Im still not 100% clear on the back pressure thing and how all that actually works all i knwo is if you go to like a glass pack or some strigh tube it will work the oppsite way
now reading your post i can kind of see why so I guess the correct way to say it is you can change your exhust you just need to know what to change to

the Coil on the PT is by far one of the best parts on our PT---yes i knwo that does not mean it is the best out there btu several have changed to a HOTTER coil only to go back to stock--the stock ones work great and give you about all the spark the PT can use
and as far as plugs and wirtes we all knwo that the stock wires are not a high quality wire and almost any after market brand is better and yes better wires will amke it run better but (AND YES I CAN AND AM USALLY WRONG) no wires and plugs alone are going to make that much of a diffrence UNLESS what you curently have is junk but as said they will amke a diffrence

the nos was kind of a joke it will give you more hp with a small investment and is quick and even a cool add on but it is usally not for your daily driver

SO the bottom line is you are correct you can get more out of a NA if you have the money and the informatin and the skill but in the end its still a NA Pt that will run great and sound good and look way cool

Thanks for the info

Last edited by cruserdad1976; 23 Oct 2012 at 09:59 am.