PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oh my... HELP!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2012, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oh my... HELP!!!!

Ok I have 2002 pt cruiser base.
120,000 miles on it. 2.4L 4 cyl motor. Here lately my car has taken a turn for the worse. I have lost all acceleration and its lacking the horsepower it use to have and im burning through almost a qtr of a tank going back and forth to work ( 10 miles round trip). I put new plugs and plug wires (Autolite Iridium plugs and duralast wires) but it didnt solve the issues im having, Also I switched to 5w30 high mileage and checked my oil today and noticed that im almost a quart low. But its not leaking out because there are no spots on my driveway where oil has leaked. I need answers, this car is my livlihood its my only transportation back and forth to work and to take my son to his many doctor appointments (he has leukemia) and I need a reliable ride to get him there. Is there anyone out there who would know whats wrong?

Also i noticed when i try to accel (which takes awile, usually 20 seconds to get up to40 mph) my rpms jummp dramatically from around two to almost four thousand rpms...

Moneys tight I just need answers. Also I put it on a computer at auto zone and no codes came up.....
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oh my... HELP!!!!

Sounds like it may be a couple of problems. First, with the revving of the engine and not going very fast, it could be the bands inside the transmission. At that mileage, the CAT/exhaust could be plugged up which would cause poor acceleration and lousy gas mileage. Missing oil could be a cracked head gasket allowing drops of oil into the cylinder closest to the break and it's being burned up little at a time so you wouldn't notice.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Oh my... HELP!!!!

Wow... Sounds like it might be in "limp-in" mode, and running in 2nd. But no codes is odd.

You could try the computer reset. Disconnect the battery ground for 5 minutes, reconnect and see what happens.

-Gary-

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!