Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Caliper woes... Brake help requested.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Caliper woes... Brake help requested.

So the past week or so when I start off, my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor before it stops. I'll pump it a few times and it gets normal. Air in the lines, simple enough. But, after about 20 minutes driving the brake pedal gets really firm and extremely sensitive and something wasn't letting go, meaning I felt like I was driving with my parking brake on. I would get a definite jolt (as if I hit the pedal) when I would coast to a stop.

I pulled the wheels today and replaced the brake pads. The outside pad on the front passenger side (front disc, rear drum) was worn way down to the point of rubbing on the rivet, although the rest still had a lot of life. I compressed the calipers, replaced the pads and took off down the road.

Thought everything was fine until pulling back into my driveway where I felt the same jolt and saw a load of smoke billow out from under my wheel well. I'm thinking the caliper is sticking internally. Replace the caliper. Does that sound like the right avenue to explore?
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Caliper woes... Brake help requested.

Did you check the caliper slides? That is the typical cause for uneven pad wear . There may be rust build up inside the caliper. A rebuild kit is cheap. Flush the brake fluid too.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.