Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
maintenance suggestions @ 157K miles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2012, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default maintenance suggestions @ 157K miles

Hello. I just purchased an '04 automatic (non-turbo with high miles) for my wife. As I don't know a whole lot about the engine/tranny longevity in these vehicles, I was hoping to get some opinions from you experts on things I could do to extend the life of the drive train. After replacing 3 of 4 engine mounts this past weekend, the PT now drives and idles just fine. As far as I can tell, everything else is working to spec; there is no CEL or codes, no smoking, the idle/acceleration/braking feels normal and all of the accessories are working. The previous owner indicated he replaced the TB/WP at 100K miles, transmission serviced at 130K, and wires, plugs, wheel bearings at 148K; all sensors and other electronics are still original. He didn't mention anything about the drive belts, but, they look to be in good shape to me. I guess one of my biggest questions is, should i consider using straight synthetic (or a blend), or, just continue to change at 3000 miles using a quality lube? Although I hate fixin things that aren't broke yet, I'll probably be proactive and replace the cam sensor; the EGR and IAC could probably use a good cleaning while i'm in there. Any thoughts or input you guys might have would be appreciated. thanks! James
Old 22 Oct 2012, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: maintenance suggestions @ 157K miles

I'm a believer in synthetic oil - for a higher price, you get MUCH better lubrication.
Seems prior owner took good care of it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tend/want to think he did too. The interior is in excellent shape and other than some scuffs beneath the front bumper and minor cosmetic issues, the body is in great shape. Just wasn't too thrilled about the mileage, which is why i'm inquiring.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well for me it is ALWAYS easier to plann maintance than to be forced into it so yes id change the sensors recheck the belts go to synthic oil
for me the weak link is the tranny and there isnt much you can do about it otjher than pray or maybe find a salvage yard with a really low millage one there are a lot of tranny that fit mine has a stratus 08 that had 24,000 and it was $575 + the $250 to take the ole one out and put new one in

the engin should go way over 200,000 so enjoy the ride
Old 22 Oct 2012, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would change the coolant, and maybe consider replacing the radiator and fan as the plastic end tanks tend to fail and ditto the fans, there not ultra expensive either. Heater hoses are also a good idea.

If you change the coolant use the Zerex Hoat 5 and distilled water.

I would also bleed the brakes and change the brake fluid, and suction out the power steering fluid, a cheap turkey baster and a couple qts work well.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 23 Oct 2012, 06:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate the information guys. Although the fluids look clean, i will do as suggested with the PS and brake fluids. Since the TB/WP were replaced <50K miles ago, I should be okay on the coolant (it's still pink with clarity); the coolant hoses look good, but, will replace as soon as I can, along with the drive belts.

I'm glad to hear i can expect decent life out of the 2.4 with proper maintenance; I was really hoping Chysler/mopar would have finally designed something worthy of being called a transmission. Do you guys know of any band adjustments or other modifications to the tranny I might be able to perform to increase reliability? Again, I really appreciate all the feedback. James
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No more bands or tranny adjustments. All you can do is change the fluid - and ONLY use ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
No more bands or tranny adjustments. All you can do is change the fluid - and ONLY use ATF + 4.
10/4, have plenty of that for the '03 cummins and '99 chrysler. Speaking of the chrysler (concorde lxi), it's sitting in the drive way with a spun #2 rod bearing. Been contemplating either selling it as is or dropping in a reman. It has the 3.2 which I thought was far superior than the troublesome 2.7. I bought it about 18months ago with 80K miles. At 100K, i did the timing belt/ water pump. The car ran like a champ and I made several 400 mile trips in it. At 103K, i noticed a tapping, which eventually turned into a knock. Using stethoscope, I quickly determined this noise was coming from #2 cylinder (uhmm... wristpin or rod bearing). Long story short, after tearing into the top end and dropping the pan, I quickly realized it was the rod bearing. Tried polishing with emery on the "out-of-round" crank journal and slipped in a standard bearing hoping this would get me down the road a bit longer. It did help, but, there is still a slight knock. As clean as this car is inside and out, i would have never thought I'd have this type of failure. I mean there was absolutely no sludge anywhere inside the motor. Oh well.....
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i hear you i drive my pt on the intrerstate every day its around 200 miles a day keep the oil changed and the tranny flushed and filters changed one day coming home it just said oh im tired and think ill just quit it had a little over 130,000 on it but it was spottless inside never really raced or pushed hard kind of sucks
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
i hear you i drive my pt on the intrerstate every day its around 200 miles a day keep the oil changed and the tranny flushed and filters changed one day coming home it just said oh im tired and think ill just quit it had a little over 130,000 on it but it was spottless inside never really raced or pushed hard kind of sucks
I know your bummed out but details?