PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt wont start

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt wont start

my 2006 pt cruiser wont start. battery is good. when i turn the key nothing happens no click or any kind of noise. can anybody help?

thank you in advace
Old 23 Oct 2012, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt wont start

Have you tried to jump start it from a good battery source? If it's deader than a door knob, you won't hear the clicking from the solenoid. Do the lights come on, radio? If they do, you could have a bad or shorted out ignition switch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 02:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with above and I also wonder how you determined the battery was good.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Also try jumping it from the starter itself *its a pain to reach but*. When my 2.4 neon did that my buddy and i spent hours checking every electrical connection there was, and eventually it turned out the valve cover gasket had a leak, which spewed oil into the starter, thus killing the solenoid.

Reason i said that story was there was no noise what-so-ever when i turned the key, but the lights and such would turn on.

As Crewzin recommended, also check the starter switch, they have a tendency to be..picky :-D
Old 25 Oct 2012, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went through this in April manual transmission would not start , replaced battery and starter . With a piece of wire jumped across leads for starter relay to test , turned out to be a bad wire on one of the nuetral switches on the clutch pedal.
Old 05 Nov 2012, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After everything I've had to do in the past week to my Cruiser (new thermostat, new gas line, and radiator flush with HOAT added) it ran fine for a few days with no problems. I went out today to run errands and it wouldn't start. I tried jump starting it and nothing..

My battery is a year old (replaced it last Oct), my alternator is about 5 years old (starter was tested then too).

I get the clicking from the solenoid, radio comes on, all the lights come on...it just doesn't crank over.

Thinking it could be my ignition. Anyway to come to that conclusion?

My Cruiser is a 2003, non-turbo.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's my starter. I whacked it a few times with a hammer and it turned over..
Old 30 Sep 2014, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Need help. I went out one morning and my car would not start. It doesn't turn over and after trying to start it there is a clicking noise. I can remove the key and the clicking noise is still happening. Only way to make it stop is to unplug the battery. I have replaced the starter, took the battery to get tested, checked the starter relay and all fuses, replaced the fuel pump, put gas and still the car does the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 30 Sep 2014, 05:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeMo View Post
It's my starter. I whacked it a few times with a hammer and it turned over..
its called the technical tap lol
Old 30 Sep 2014, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2014 View Post
Need help. I went out one morning and my car would not start. It doesn't turn over and after trying to start it there is a clicking noise. I can remove the key and the clicking noise is still happening. Only way to make it stop is to unplug the battery. I have replaced the starter, took the battery to get tested, checked the starter relay and all fuses, replaced the fuel pump, put gas and still the car does the same thing. Any ideas?
How are the cables going to the starter? The clicking is a symptom the starter isn't getting enough "juice" - it's usually the battery, but since you had the battery tested, that means cables are likely in bad shape giving high resistance.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles