Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

Hi, my power steering pump made noise in morning...mechanic suggested replacing..used a chrysler pump..about a month later hose blew out..too much pressure leaked everywhere..mechanic wouldn't warranty pump because of leak..so I bought new power steering pump and hose, but aftermarket..well, the hose blew off a few days later leaked all over..mechanic warrantied parts replaced..a few days later hose leaked all fluid out again..mechanic won't warranty..I have spent 900.00 over 6 months trying to fix problem..there is a small leak in rack and pinion..wouldn't that reduce pressure and leak..reluctant to have this same fool replace rack and pinion..could it be power steering pressure sensor? or mystery filter in bottom of reservoir? Isn't the reservoir apart of the pump? I am unemployed and need to get this fixed...anyone else have this problem?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

You have a double thread so I am only posting on this one!

The pressure switch only has to do with the ECU to regulate the idle speed.
The PT's power steering pump is a vane-type pump which means it has a none regulated and constant fluid flow pressure. There is no power steering regulating pressure mechanism on PT.
My guess would be you may have a line obstruction that may be increasing the line pressure much the same way as if you were to pinch off a garden hose of water. There may also be debris in the rack unit itself that is floating around and at times causing an obstruction in the input/output lines?
After the first pump replaced failure I might have at least considered a flushing of the rack?
You say you have a leak in the rack unit, that complicates your problem and makes a mess of everything. If it is in the steering rack because of impact you may be able to get it repair welded on the car. If it is in an area not easily accessible than your only recourse is to remove the steering unit and either replace it or get it repaired. The pump IMO based on your description of the issue is not you problem.
The mechanic the second time performing the repair should have considered the replacing and or the flushing of the rack and prorated the charge somewhat, I would have but that's just me

One more thing there is a specific Standard Procedure for the power steering pump when it is replaced that must be done on the initial start up operation. But this would only have to do with the pump either working or not after replacement.

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Oct 2012 at 11:36 am.