Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

Hi, my power steering pump made noise in morning...mechanic suggested replacing..used a chrysler pump..about a month later hose blew out..too much pressure leaked everywhere..mechanic wouldn't warranty pump because of leak..so I bought new power steering pump and hose, but aftermarket..well, the hose blew off a few days later leaked all over..mechanic warrantied parts replaced..a few days later hose leaked all fluid out again..mechanic won't warranty..I have spent 900.00 over 6 months trying to fix problem..there is a small leak in rack and pinion..wouldn't that reduce pressure and leak..reluctant to have this same fool replace rack and pinion..could it be power steering pressure sensor? or mystery filter in bottom of reservoir? Isn't the reservoir apart of the pump? I am unemployed and need to get this fixed...anyone else have this problem?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 01:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser 2002 limited power steering prob

IDK, but if pump keeps going, and hose keeps blowing ...
Only other co mponent is the rack which is leaking (overpressure?)
Not sure where pressure is regulated, or if rack could cause this, but spending an hour researching;

Contact chromenut to see if he can get you a 'line' on a 'FSM'

or search 'pt cruiser fsm download' pdftown used to have it.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 01:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

My gut tells me you need a new mechanic. If he recommended changing something to address an issue and that work failed, he should be on the hook for it. I can see him not covering a failed hose - it could be old, that's fair. But asking to cover his mistakes is not.

A leak in a rack *shouldn't* cause an overpressure scenario, but could cause other problems if that leak allows air to get sucked into the system. The result of that would probably be spilling from the reservoir, not overpressure. Air compressed much better than hydraulic fluid!

Does your steering feel normal when it's working? Which hose failed? The supply or the return? Is it possible there is a crimp or other obstruction in the return hose that is causing overpressure in the system?
Old 25 Oct 2012, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could also be that the aftermarket pumps your throwing in have too high of a pressure rating for stock hoses?.

Next one you throw at it try OEM, also fully bleed the system to make sure there is zero air in there, one bubble can cause a lot of issues i've learned.