PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Mopar "Camshaft Position Sensor", or aftermarket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2012, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mopar "Camshaft Position Sensor", or aftermarket?

Looks like we're going to need one of these after all (cleaned the connection last week, but the CEL came on again, with some sputtering this time). Is the Mopar unit the best, or is there a suitable aftermarket one?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar "Camshaft Position Sensor", or aftermarket?

Personally, for sensors of this type I would not suggest using anything aftermarket. I've never used aftermarket sensors but have spoken with several acquaintances who have and they never lasted more than 12 months. Just my suggestion/opinion...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 27 Oct 2012, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chromenut.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

To my surprise, our local dealership parts dept was open today (Saturday). The CPS was $61.25 (plus tax). Installation was a breeze, in fact, one of the easiest things to replace on this car.

One question I have though, is there anyway to clear the computer code/s without having to disconnect the battery every time? I'm getting tired of having to reset a bazillion things on our aftermarket stereo.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Taking off the negative battery cable is the only way when your doing it yourself without a scanner from the dealer or mechanic or one that you can pick up at an auto store or ebay.

Here's the eBay page with the scanners. Not too expensive.

obdii scanner | eBay
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 28 Oct 2012, 09:37 am
Senior Cruiser

The code is "stored" in the PCM memory only for a short few days. This is so mechanics can retrieve it when an owner shows up with a possible problem. I believe the code will clear itself after a certain amount of re-starts if the cause has been removed or fixed.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

On the majority of vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 disconnecting the battery could erase fault codes, at least temporarily until the code resets and turns the check engine light back on. On newer vehicles, the PCM's fault codes are stored in a "nonvolatile memory” that is stored if the battery is disconnected. The codes remain intact until they are cleared using a scan tool.

So, if I'm reading this right, it sounds like you can get rid of them with disconnecting the battery but not permanently until a scan tool wipes them away.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 28 Oct 2012, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

When I installed the new sensor yesterday, I didn't disconnect the battery. When I backed it out of the garage the CEL stayed on (and the car bucked for a second). I then disconnected/reconnected the battery and re-cranked and the light went out.

We're going to drive it to town today to make sure everything is working alright. I'm definitely going to get one of the scanning tools, thanks for the tip on those.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
To my surprise, our local dealership parts dept was open today (Saturday). The CPS was $61.25 (plus tax). Installation was a breeze, in fact, one of the easiest things to replace on this car.

One question I have though, is there anyway to clear the computer code/s without having to disconnect the battery every time? I'm getting tired of having to reset a bazillion things on our aftermarket stereo.
That's a good price on that CPS, here in the Seattle area 3 different dealers quoted me approx. $80.50. I've read many posts on PT Cruiser problems while trying to diagnose my own, and every post I've read recommended the Mopar CPS including a service tech who said that is the one sensor he NEVER replaces with an aftermarket brand on a PT.
Normally it takes a few days for the check engine light to turn off by itself after a repair, and 40 to 50 restarts and a certain number of "drive cycles" before the trouble code clears. I recommend putting an OBD2 scan tool on your Xmas list. It makes retrieving trouble codes easier on ALL cars made after 1995 and allows you to clear the codes from the computer immediately (without having to reset your clock and radio presets every time the battery is disconnected). This is very helpful when diagnosing problems and when wondering if that $50+ sensor you just replaced was actually the source of the trouble code being set. Often times it's not unfortunately.