Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manual 2001 Cruiser won't star, intermittent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Manual 2001 Cruiser won't star, intermittent

Had some problems with it starting here and there, gradually getting worse and worse with the no-starts. Now it won't start at all.

No crank
All lights come on in the dash like it's ready to start
Battery is good
Last time we got it to start was a few days ago, thought we fixed the problem, shut it off and haven't got it to start since.

Was thinking it has to do something with the clutch interlock switch. Tested for continuity in the connector and I can't seem to get any. Test light will not light up at all.

Sound familiar to anyone at all?
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Manual 2001 Cruiser won't star, intermittent

when yout turn your key over to the on position do you hear your fuel pump buzzing? if so that's take that out the question. if you don't hear it then that very well maybe your problem.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
when yout turn your key over to the on position do you hear your fuel pump buzzing? if so that's take that out the question. if you don't hear it then that very well maybe your problem.
Oh yeah, I can hear my fuel pump come on.

Last edited by ptbruiser1234; 28 Oct 2012 at 12:40 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbruiser1234 View Post
Oh yeah, I can hear my fuel pump come on.
Try tapping on the starter while someone turns the key. If that works get you a new starter.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Oct 2012, 01:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmm no power to the clutch safety switch? That sounds kinda odd but.. on my Toyota's I pulled the connector for the safety switch and jumper them with a paper clip.

I tested it with a 12 volt test light, can't remember what it did? But it had been my problem on my mini Truck, that fixed it.

Did the same thing on the Tercel just cause I could..only started it in gear once and almost hit the wall!

German cars in 1989 anyway don't have a neutral safety switich...guess the Germans figure if your not smart enough to make sure the car is in neutral...then you should not be driving anyway!

But jump it if you have to check battery for 13 volts and if it's good...then look at...Battery Cables!
Old 28 Oct 2012, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Try tapping on the starter while someone turns the key. If that works get you a new starter.
I actually jumped the started, started clicking but won't crank still, did this while another person hit it with a hammer.

Talk to a Chrysler tech, said jumping the starter without depressing the clutch still won't start it. Doesn't make sense to me haha.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbruiser1234 View Post
I actually jumped the started, started clicking but won't crank still, did this while another person hit it with a hammer.

Talk to a Chrysler tech, said jumping the starter without depressing the clutch still won't start it. Doesn't make sense to me haha.
Have you checked the big ground behind the air filter box?;

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2012, 01:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Pull your battery out and have it tested. It could have a bad cell which would prevent enough amperage to crank engine. If the battery has a dead short the car won't turn over even when trying to jump start it, but could provide just enough power to light up your dash lights. I've had this happen to me on other cars.
Also, make sure your battery connections are clean including the ground connections to the car.

Last edited by nwmike; 29 Oct 2012 at 01:41 am.