PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
30 mpg can it be done ???

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2012, 07:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 30 mpg can it be done ???

So I got to thinking can we get 30mpg in out PT's. 10ish years ago I had a Dodge Stratus (95) 2.4 auto. I had no issue getting 30 mpg on the freeway. It had some motor work done (decked and milled head is all). So guys shoot me your ideas on this motor build and if you think its possible.

1. Mill the head (just to make it flat)
2. Deck the block (min needed)
3. Eagle rods and JE 10.5 Pistions
4. 2.0 dohc exaust cam (good for 5~10 hp and tq)
5. Maybe do street porting on the Head
6. Minor exaust work
7. Add a CAI
8. Worst case do a 5 speed swap
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 30 mpg can it be done ???

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised if the gas savings (if any) would pay off the cost of all this during the lifetime of the car.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
Don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised if the gas savings (if any) would pay off the cost of all this during the lifetime of the car.
True, but when will you get a return on a purchase of a new/used car. I have access to a high compression short block from a abandon project
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoorenburg View Post
So I got to thinking can we get 30mpg in out PT's. 10ish years ago I had a Dodge Stratus (95) 2.4 auto. I had no issue getting 30 mpg on the freeway. It had some motor work done (decked and milled head is all). So guys shoot me your ideas on this motor build and if you think its possible.

1. Mill the head (just to make it flat) NO Effect on MPG
2. Deck the block (min needed) NO Effect on MPG
3. Eagle rods and JE 10.5 Pistons more power not really more mpg
4. 2.0 dohc exhaust cam (good for 5~10 hp and tq) More like 1-3 maybe on a perfect day and see #6
5. Maybe do street porting on the Head **# 5 & 6 pretty much the same?
6. Minor exhaust work ** slight mpg improvement 1-3 if other additional exhaust improvements to augment the port work
7. Add a CAI Not likely
8. Worst case do a 5 speed swap. Driving habits are less costly and have a good effect on mpg
See blue.
We are talking specifically about a USA made and driven PT Cruiser without changing the normal pump fuel used!
many times in my Performance Engine machine shop I would always get the customer wanting the same thing. You can build a more efficient engine that will help increase MPG but not improving 7-10 over average normal for the power plant and chassis it is operating.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

AFAIK, the 5 speed car's don't get 30 mpg? The one thing not on your list that would make it possible is the gearing.

I believe the AT has a final drive ratio of 3.91 those were drag guys back in the day. PT turns about 2300 2500 in the 60 to 65 mph range.

You have to drop the rpm to 2000 or lower at HWY speed to make a difference.

I saw on here at some point that a NEON tranny would fit, don't know what the gear ratio's were but I thought it was in reference to mpg?

Probably it would turn the N/A into the slug that most perceive it to be but that would most likely be the way to go?
Dino likes this.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with gears also some how put it on a diet and get rid of weight make sure the tires are at or slightlky above they presure they need
driving habbits If im not wrong dosent a turbo Pt actually get better MPG than a NA????? it has more power to get the car to the sped you want quicker and with less effort

If some how you could make some Big horsepower
loose about 900 pounds
cut the wind resistance
and drive like the sunday go to meeting lady
you might get in the high 20's
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
See blue.
We are talking specifically about a USA made and driven PT Cruiser without changing the normal pump fuel used!
many times in my Performance Engine machine shop I would always get the customer wanting the same thing. You can build a more efficient engine that will help increase MPG but not improving 7-10 over average normal for the power plant and chassis it is operating.
Yes this is a US PT. So here is a good question how many of you have replaced the fuel pumps in your PT's? Comming from a Neon world they came stock with walbro pumps, or at least the 12 units I pulled and replaced did.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
AFAIK, the 5 speed car's don't get 30 mpg? The one thing not on your list that would make it possible is the gearing.

I believe the AT has a final drive ratio of 3.91 those were drag guys back in the day. PT turns about 2300 2500 in the 60 to 65 mph range.

You have to drop the rpm to 2000 or lower at HWY speed to make a difference.

I saw on here at some point that a NEON tranny would fit, don't know what the gear ratio's were but I thought it was in reference to mpg?

Probably it would turn the N/A into the slug that most perceive it to be but that would most likely be the way to go?

Yes a Neon tranny would fit. The difference is in final drives are different 3.94/3.55. The difference is in 5th Gear so no change on rpm on the freeway.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 10:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoorenburg View Post
Yes a Neon tranny would fit. The difference is in final drives are different 3.94/3.55. The difference is in 5th Gear so no change on rpm on the freeway.
What? Well that's lame! I don't remember what the thread was about but if the final ratio is the same, what would be the point of the swap?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
What? Well that's lame! I don't remember what the thread was about but if the final ratio is the same, what would be the point of the swap?
I agree I have the 3.94 tranny in my Turbo 97 neon and its a hell of a work out. When I pulled the tranny I didn't verifiy since 90% on the neons came with a 3.55. The 3.94 were in the dohc coupes or the R/T & the ACR Neons.