PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Hard Is It To Replace Lower Motor Mount (Torque Rod)?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2012, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How Hard Is It To Replace Lower Motor Mount (Torque Rod)?

Hi there, Everyone:

I took my 2005 PT Cruiser Touring into the shop for an oil change and they told me I needed a new lower engine torque rod (commonly called a motor mount).

Since I am kind of tool / mechanical challenged, how hard is it to replace the lower motor mount? Can I do it myself without having to put the car on stands and support the engine??? Some directions say the engine NEEDS to be supported.

The shop wants $190 for parts and labor to change it, but I would prefer to spend that money on food for feeding my family.

One more thing; they didn't specify which side needs to be replaced. Are there lower motor mounts on both sides of the engine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How Hard Is It To Replace Lower Motor Mount (Torque Rod)?

A google search will bring up a ton of how-to's...even some written by yours truly

Easy job; requires socket tool set and 2 jacks and preferably a 2x4 piece of wood.

I'd type up the directions but I'm short on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
Hi there, Everyone:

I took my 2005 PT Cruiser Touring into the shop for an oil change and they told me I needed a new lower engine torque rod (commonly called a motor mount).

Since I am kind of tool / mechanical challenged, how hard is it to replace the lower motor mount? Can I do it myself without having to put the car on stands and support the engine??? Some directions say the engine NEEDS to be supported.

The shop wants $190 for parts and labor to change it, but I would prefer to spend that money on food for feeding my family.

One more thing; they didn't specify which side needs to be replaced. Are there lower motor mounts on both sides of the engine?

Thanks in advance.
In the technical section the sticky how to's you will find what you need. Yes you need to use stands or some sort of safe blocking to protect yourself. You will need to use a jack of some sort, to help move the engine during line up of the mount. It's on the passenger side. An alternative would be to use windshield urethane. This requires you to clean the the rubber as best you can and after applying let cure for a couple of days. Would also require you to jack the engine up a little to relive the pressure on the mount so it will cure in the right position.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2012, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the note.

I must be an idiot because I am not finding the directions / instructions on here... I will keep looking.

I have a metric / US socket set.

O'rilley has a floor jack AND stands set for $39. Will that do the job? It's probably something like the AC delco one they have advertised here:

ACDelco 34136 - Hydraulic Trolley Jack | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I'll try searching again for the instructions, but is it safe to assume then that someone who can use a socket set can do it without causing too much bodily harm?

thanks in advance.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 06:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

@ Kawizx9r

I saw your tutorial on youtube to replace the UPPER mount. I didn't find one for lower mount though. do you have one on there and I am totally daft today?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
@ Kawizx9r

I saw your tutorial on youtube to replace the UPPER mount. I didn't find one for lower mount though. do you have one on there and I am totally daft today?
I never created a video for the lower, but it's very easy and I've included pictures/how-to on the web.

I'll post back shortly (with a picture as well) to help you out in a bit.

Quote:
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. I am struggling with the web today.

A few more questions:

1) I bought a two ton floor jack and stands set from O'Rilley. Is that strong enough?

2) Where should I put the stands?

3) Where do I place the floor jack when I want to lift the car high enough to put the stands in place?

Sorry if this has been answered. Most of the diagrams show where to put the jack for changing tires but DON'T show where to put a floor jack or stands.

Don't know why I am struggling with this so much...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Process of removing/getting to the mount is; a small jack to support the engine in place (use a 2x4 between the jack and oil pan), and a jack to slightly lift the passenger side in order to remove the front wheel.

You'll also want your hood open so keep that in mind.

Lift your PT, place a jack-stand underneath to support your vehicle (never use a jack as a jack-stand) and remove your passenger front wheel.

Place another jack under your oil pan. Place a 2x4 piece of wood and raise the jack until it simply 'supports' the engine; do not raise it too much otherwise it'll be damn hard to remove the mount.

Back to the removed wheel section; remove the plastic shield. It will be held in place by 8mm bolts if I remember correctly. I also recall using an extension because 2 or 3 were kind of hard to reach.

Remember the way that plastic shield goes, and set it aside. I'll locate a picture of how the area looks with the shield removed and will continue with further instruction after I'm done with this phone call

PS Hope no one posts after this post.

Quote:
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ok back to what I was saying; here are two pictures I took when I replaced my lower mount on my old-to-me PT.

Here, you'll see the shield removed. It's kind of far away but you get the idea -

Here's another but closer. I took this picture after after replacing the mount. Ignore the over-sized washer behind the bolt, I added that myself because I put what's called a motor mount 'insert' so just ignore it.

You'll see that there are bolts at each end of the mount you'll need to remove. It doesn't matter which you do first, just remember where each one goes.

Once you remove the mount, replace it with the new one. Now here comes the tricky part; you might find that when you try to install the new mount, the bolts won't line up. This can be very frustrating and can sometimes be remedied by either loosening the upper mount a bit with a combination of manipulating the jack supporting the engine. Some will ignore this and will simply try to force the bolt to line up and trust me it'll be hell.

Aside from that, it's pretty easy.

Edit: PS I almost forgot! In the second picture you'll see a hole where there was once a bolt! I forgot to mention that you'll see a bar that needs to be removed that's held in by one bolt up top and a nut at the bottom (the nut resides on the same bolt your motor mount is held by).

Quote:

Last edited by Kawizx9r; 30 Oct 2012 at 02:26 pm.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

A few other things I'd like to mention. Alot of guys here apply windshield urethane directly onto the rubber part of the mount as mentioned above. This creates a 'stronger' and longer lasting mount however there's also a con to it; your car will be even more susceptible to picking up engine vibrations/etc. which you'll mainly feel through the steering wheel. If you go with this route, and have an automatic, apply only a small amount and let it cure.

Also, if your lower mount is shot then chances are that your upper mount is as well. With one broken, the other one is doing twice the work and taking twice the beating so make sure to replace it as well if need be. You don't want to have to replace your lower only to find out your upper is broken only to find out your lower has broken yet again

Quote:

Tags
everyone:, hi there