PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Supercharger question for Fabreezai

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Supercharger question for Fabreezai

Fabreezai, I read with interest and viewed your photos on the Mater makeover project. I am a first time PT owner who recently bought a 2001 that has a Whipple Supercharger installed in it. I got it for a bargain price because it's running on 3 cyl and has existing trouble codes. I bought myself a project for sure, more than I realized.
Anyway, in one of your posts you mentioned that the Whipple computer runs independently of the stock PCM but can cause the stock PCM to display faulty trouble codes. You also mentioned that the Whipple ECU adjusts the pulse width(?) of the injectors, I'm puzzled by that. The trouble code I'm having the problem diagnosing is a P0203 injector circuit on cyl#3. I'm curious what you learned about the interaction of the two computers, and I wanted to open up dialogue with you since you seem to have a great deal of experience with the Whipple system. BTW, thanks for all the literature you have shared via Chromenut on the Whipple unit. I was very happy to find that. -Mike in Seattle
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Supercharger question for Fabreezai

So you don't want anybody else to answer..No problem!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
So you don't want anybody else to answer..No problem!
I would love to talk to anyone who has experience with the Whipple Supercharger system, he seemed like the most recent person to install one and he was able get add'l info from one of their tech guys, so I thought I'd try to rattle his cage.
How about you Nitro, do you have experience with that system also?
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No.

I am very familiar with boosted systems they are basically the same. I have worked with other Wipple SC's the base units are all the same operating prencible.And I do Performance ECU/EFI Calabrations.
But the exact Wipple kit for the PT as you are asking nope no experience.

I can tell you that you PT code is separate and solely MOPAR related and must be delt with as if you had no SC. I would try swapping injectors from another cylinder clear the codes and see if code initiates the exchanged cylinder.
There is a reason that the Wipple PT was discontinued and it was not all because of low sales.The kit worked ok under normal use but fell short with ongoing issues when used for more spirited driving. Fabreezai (Sean)is finding that out.
We have talked about a few solutions untested as yet. The cure is a bit laborious
but in the end solves all the ECU calibration issues. It just depends what you ultimate goal is. Sean is not aware of this thread yet he has been really busy with work. I will let him know for you tomorrow.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Oct 2012 at 11:11 pm.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 12:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Might be a bad plug wire, I have my own way to test them...but there might be better test suggestion avilable!
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
Might be a bad plug wire, I have my own way to test them...but there might be better test suggestion avilable!
I don't think that would cause an injector code.
But I do think you like the little tickle you get sometimes doing it!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Oct 2012, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
Might be a bad plug wire, I have my own way to test them...but there might be better test suggestion available!
This is not another thread about a problem in normal applicated issues. The OP has a rare PT with a Wipple Super Charger! Some things that concern the engine operation with regards to codes may be a bit different then most posted quarries. It is no a I Spy a......

A perfect book for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I don't think that would cause an injector code.
But I do think you like the little tickle you get sometimes doing it!
Maybe he has done it once to often?

Hey maybe Chromenut should loan him his toy in this thread?
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-am-idiot.html
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't want to go all overboardie but..a misfire is a misfire is't it? Code just say's "I got a misfire" gives a best guess as to why?
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should read my response about codes pertaining to the PT Wipple Super Charger which is what this thread is about. Give the OP a chance to catch up. He may have a specific range of topics he wants to discuss as per his first and 3rd post. No need for a last word!

here is an idea, under forum tools open the tab and use Post A New thread and start your own interesting topic?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmike View Post
You also mentioned that the Whipple ECU adjusts the pulse width(?) of the injectors, I'm puzzled by that.
I have no firsthand experience with the Whipple system, but based on the CARB filing and the installation manual it looks like the supercharger kit includes an auxiliary fuel injector and monitors OBD information to control it. I don't see anywhere that it does anything with the stock injectors.

The installation guide shows that the Whipple ECU taps:

Power
Power
ECT
Oxygen Sensor
RPM Signal
TPS
MAP
Inlet Air Temp
Torque Sensor

from the stock ECU. It uses that feedback to control it's own injector and boost solenoid.

If you are getting a Chrysler CEL (versus a Whipple CEL) then that fault code really exists... that is, something is actually wrong. The Whipple system could be misbehaving in such a way that it's triggering the CEL, but that would still be an error in the strictest sense. What NitroPT indicated seems to be true - you need to treat this like a PT Cruiser problem and not a Whipple Supercharger problem.

The P203 code could result from a failed ECU (PT ECU, not Whipple), bad injector, bad wiring, or maybe a bad ground. Swapping the #3 injector to another cylinder would be a good first step... if the code follows the injector, you have your answer. You're probably going to want a digital multimeter to be sure you're getting full voltage (engine running) to that cylinder, and maybe a noid-type ("fuel injector test light") to verify you have reliable fuel injector behavior. It looks like PT ECUs aren't horrifically expensive on Ebay, so if none of this gets you anywhere I'd consider swapping ECUs. It may be something dumb like a bad injector driver in the ECU!