Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FOG LIGHTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2012, 09:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default FOG LIGHTS

I bought a replacement set of fog light bulbs for my 2001 ltd., 100 watt, thru ebay a few months ago. I had one burn out and found that the bulb had melted part of the housing that retains the bulb.
Does anyone know where to get a high power bulb, like a led, that would work, without the heat? Living on the west coast, fog is going to be here soon.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 01:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: FOG LIGHTS

led bulbs aren't going to give you a very great output. I would only use those for DRL or similar. You got lucky with the 100w bulbs because you could have ended up melting the wiring too. I would just stick with replacement headlight bulbs without a blue tint on the glass. The blue tint on the bulbs tends to lower output. Also when putting the bulbs in, don't touch the glass. THe oils from your fingers can remain on the glass and then when the bulb turns on, the oils will heat up causing the bulb to run hotter than it should. This could lead to early bulb failure.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 05:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Get a HID kit for the factory fogs. That should give you plenty of light.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 09:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Get a HID kit for the factory fogs. That should give you plenty of light.
x2, just get a 35w set because the bulbs for those tend to be a little shorter and won't touch the plastic housing (causing it to melt). Of course, if a member here has gotten away with a 55w set without melting the housing. For color, I've read that the 3,000 K is about optimal for fogs since yellow light seems to reduce glare in fog.

If you end up getting HIDs, have someone drive infront of you while they are on and see if they would be a distraction, to oncoming traffic. If so, I would limit use to only when it is foggy outside.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 10:38 am
Young Cruiser

Tnx for that, I'll look into the 3000k units.