PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrysler Dealership vs Local Mechanic?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2012, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Chrysler Dealership vs Local Mechanic?

I own 2003 PT 2.4 Turbo, approx 68,000 miles. Chrystler says motor mount torn, front wheel bearing noise, coolent leak, & lower control Arm Bushing Torn. Is this something Chrysler has to fix or can my local mechanic can fix? Also, will there be a warning when it's time to replace timing belt & water pump? I'm a single woman and not mechanically inclined. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrysler Dealership vs Local Mechanic?

It's something any decent mechanic can fix but try to find someone with experience with the PT especially when it's time for the timing belt. NO, there's no warning when it's time for the belt. We recommend on the forum that it's changed at 100,000 miles. Along with the belt, a new tensioner and water pump be put in as it takes about the same amount of time to do each of those as the belt so might as well do them all together.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Now a days (at least since 2000) you want to find any service shop that has a minimum current ASE Certified Mechanic or better ASE Certified Technician. They do not necessarily need to be Chrysler familiar because the none OEM training for the certification is more rigid then a Chrysler trained Technician. Look for the credentials. Most shop like to display them in plain site at the service desk.
Like CREWZIN said there are not necessarily any warning sign of a timing belts failure to a layman, however a check using a timing probe light can see if there is fluctuation even by a 1/2 degree which is an indication of a partially stretched timing belt needing to be replaced. Personally I would shy away from a "mechanic" unless they show updated training certifications. These days with the type of systems on a 2000 and up manufactured vehicles if you do not take the time to get re-educated or re-certified you have no business working on the newer vehicles.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Nov 2012 at 10:57 am.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 02:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prissypoodle123 View Post
motor mount torn, front wheel bearing noise, coolant leak, & lower control Arm Bushing Torn.
None of those are anything that's different than any other car made in the last 30 years- Anyone should be able to handle it.

I'd ask neighbors, relatives, friends. shy away from dealer and chains- look for an independent.

Not certified to work on a bucket of manure but some how all the stuff I've 'fixed' is still going, including PT
NitroPT and Badglas like this.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
None of those are anything that's different than any other car made in the last 30 years- Anyone should be able to handle it.

I'd ask neighbors, relatives, friends. shy away from dealer and chains- look for an independent.

Not certified to work on a bucket of manure but some how all the stuff I've 'fixed' is still going, including PT

Dude you so crack me up sometime with your responses, funny as hell!!

But always seems accurate?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Nov 2012, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Uptown and Nitro, find a reputable local shop. If you can find one that has a technician with PT experience, as CREWZIN said, it would be a plus.

I'm not sure that ASE certification is as important as it used to be. I stopped certifying when they started dumbing down the tests in the early 80's. I was ASE and GM master certified for many years. I stopped with GM in 1990 when they allowed the test to be open book.

Shops wanted the certificates to display, not enough people could pass the tests, so the tests were dumbed down so that more certificates could be issued.

Kinda like kids sports today; there are no losers, everyone gets a trophy. And yet, as a society, we can't figure out how we are losing our competitive edge.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)