PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Some decent bolt on mods

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2012, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Some decent bolt on mods

I'm thinking of getting a few more bolt on mods for my PT GT. I was looking into an under drive pulley, a 62 mm throttle body, a walbro 255 fuel pump, and a foward motion wastegate. What do u guys think? Good idea? Anyone have these mods already? What kind if benefits would I get.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 09:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Some decent bolt on mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
I'm thinking of getting a few more bolt on mods for my PT GT. I was looking into an under drive pulley, a 62 mm throttle body, a walbro 255 fuel pump, and a foward motion wastegate. What do u guys think? Good idea? Anyone have these mods already? What kind if benefits would I get.
Just get the FWD motion wastegate...but get a DSP first....

The Walbro you don't need it unless you max out your turbo...
The 62 mm wont fit a PT...but you can get a 57mm ( ask Javier )
The underdrive pulley nobody ever used it with good benefits...
Badglas likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2012, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Some decent bolt on mods

Thanks for the info Gus how much do fwd motion wastegates go for? Also Javier sells 57 mm TBs, I thought he only sold 55s
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 07 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Sorry, you are right. They are 55mm. The wastegate is like $120 but get the DSP first.
Old 08 Nov 2012, 09:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Some decent bolt on mods

Ok will do but I'd like my hardpipes, exhaust, and AEM wideband AFR guage before DSP lol. Also would upgrading from my stock 52mm throttle body to a 55 mm throttle body be much different? Would I gain HP?
Old 09 Nov 2012, 09:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't think you'll get more hp with the bigger TB but you'll get better throttle response
Old 09 Nov 2012, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I don't think you'll get more hp with the bigger TB but you'll get better throttle response
I think you meant maybe the other way around?

If you increase the intake area (larger TB) CFM you lose air velocity at low RPM which without compensating for means a slower or sluggish idle and low RPM throttle response. Conversely if you have more CFM supplied at WOT you would effectively change your power curve and if compensation allotted gain top end power.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Now we go back to the same thing, every guy I know with the bigger TB says it gives you a more sensitive throttle and give you better response. In other words as soon as I touch the gas pedal my car jumps like a wild horse..That's why my car originally came with a 47mm to make more driver friendly. Btw, before you ask, I don't think anybody will have a before and after Dyno results when the bigger TB was installed.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Now we go back to the same thing, every guy I know with the bigger TB says it gives you a more sensitive throttle and give you better response. In other words as soon as I touch the gas pedal my car jumps like a wild horse..That's why my car originally came with a 47mm to make more driver friendly. Btw, before you ask, I don't think anybody will have a before and after Dyno results when the bigger TB was installed.
Yup they would. Me after reading that I had better call all the guys with flow benches and tell them they have it all wrong! LOL
One possible reason that they feel a crisper throttle response is that if you look at AFRs and compare you will notice that many times after installing the larger TB the AFR's are slightly leaner. This goes back to induction parts improving the intake air flow without compensating by way of an ECU calibration.
Now instead of a DYNO graph how about a DATA log of AFRs.

Some of you think I make this stuff up as I go along?
BTW I do not use Chassis Dyno's for anything except for the purpose of specific tuning a vehicle. In my old Performane Engine machine Shop I use a much more accurate Engine Dyno when building engines with a specific usage.

You know the funny thing is more often then not when I get a highly modified engine by the owner that needs to be tuned for performance there is always at least one "performance" part needing to come off to actually make improved performance!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Nov 2012 at 02:00 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 05:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Ok Nick, for a better throttle response (very noticeable) and/or some extra HP you should get the 55mm TB...
Javier is VERY happy with the results after he got his TB. I guess with an automatic, you'll notice such of difference on throttle response...
In my experience, it wasn't much different than the 52mm I had before, BUT I think it has to do that when I hit the gas on first gear, I can't give it full throttle, otherwise I'll spin the tires all the way to second gear