PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SMOKE coming @ TAIL PIPE & STEERING WORKING NOISY??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2012, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation SMOKE coming @ TAIL PIPE & STEERING WORKING NOISY??

Hi there,

My PT Cruiser is 2001 with auto, and 2.0L engine..
it has 77.000 miles on it.. Timing belt tensioners water pump radiator steering pump etc has changed..
NO CAT ON IT, I REMOVED IT!!

First is, It has started to smoke sometimes (not all the time) from tail pipe with a bad smell (It can come inside the car while cruzin') when I hit the gas more it increases..
But it has started after I have changed Chrysler suggested rate 5W-30 Mobil1 full syntethic oil.. (Before I used Mobil1 10W-60 nothing happened like that) Could it be about oil viscosity or it is just a casual?

BTW, I HAVE NEVER CHANGED "PCV VALVE", Could it be the reason of that problem or my cars engine is dead???

My cars Idle is about 450-500rpm!! not 750rpm as usual cars.. is that normal for PT's or I got a problem??

Second thing is my Car has Noisy Steering.. It starts about first start and not gone completely.. But it turns without a problem. The serviceman has changed about 2nd times, Steering pump, Pulley, And Pressure hose.. But it has not completely stops Squeal operating. What might be the problem??

Thank you for your helpings!!!

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 08 Nov 2012 at 09:19 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SMOKE coming @ TAIL PIPE & STEERING WORKING NOISY??

I don't know you or how you drive so can't say what condition your engine is in but I would go the easy route and switch back to regular oil. Swithing from 10W60 dino to 5W30 full synthethic started the problem, see if it goes away after switching back (you might try just 5W30 or 10W40 depending on where yo live and the temperature ranges).

At 77K, change the PCV valve NOW. It probably isn't the cause of your smoke but can't hurt and should have been changed by now anyway.

The steering noise: if it didn't go away all the things that yo did (twice?) then get it up on a rack with someone underneath with the car running to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Changing all those parts before doing that was a waste.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 11:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

i've had a lot of cars with and without cat's on the exhaust and i can tell you for a fact the smoke is much worse with no cat on there. i'd bet with it still intact you would not see any smoke. -assuming it's oil smoke(blue/black smoke)

you could either replace the cat or get one of these stickers.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I don't know you or how you drive so can't say what condition your engine is in but I would go the easy route and switch back to regular oil. Swithing from 10W60 dino to 5W30 full synthethic started the problem, see if it goes away after switching back (you might try just 5W30 or 10W40 depending on where yo live and the temperature ranges).

At 77K, change the PCV valve NOW. It probably isn't the cause of your smoke but can't hurt and should have been changed by now anyway.

The steering noise: if it didn't go away all the things that yo did (twice?) then get it up on a rack with someone underneath with the car running to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Changing all those parts before doing that was a waste.
Hi thank you for your interest! I live in overseas TURKEY..
-15 oC maximum at winter..
Its my mom's car.. I drive it too.. We drive it not much aggresive or stop and go traffic just for daily drive transport sometimes for vacation.. I've changed the oil for vacation.. That is where it started

Car Engine Oils | Products | Mobil 1 Extended Life™ 10W-60
This was the Mobil which I used.. its a bit expensive than 5W-30

Car Engine Oils | Products | Mobil Super™ 3000 Formula FE 5W-30
It is which I drived for 1000miles..

I think change the viscosity because Chrysler suggest 5W-30.. And full syntethic must be better..?

There is no one selling PCV for my PT at stock.. I think I must get it with Ebay..

For Steering pump squealing, the funny thing is the Official Chrysler service do that they cannot completely find the problem may be its because of bad Rack&Pinion.. (but there is no heavy turning the Steering wheel only working Noisy!)
They have changed it with warranty.. By the way I can not understand your last sentence.. What should I do, is it because of Rack and pinion?

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 09 Nov 2012 at 01:24 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I was saying, is that the dealer (under warranty) should have pin-pointed the problem before changing all the parts that they did. Lucky for you it WAS under warranty because we've heard of many members that have had parts replaced (at their own expense) and like you, found out that the new part didn't fix the problem.

On the oil, Extended Life IS synthetic so really all you did was change velocity of the oil. Not as bad as changing from dino 10W60 to synthetic 5W30, but it was STILL the point where your smoking started.

As Rob pointed out, it might be the CAT, but was that taken off right before the smoke started? If YES, rob342 might have found the problem. If NO, your back to the oil or just a coincidence that the smoke started with changing of the oil.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
What I was saying, is that the dealer (under warranty) should have pin-pointed the problem before changing all the parts that they did. Lucky for you it WAS under warranty because we've heard of many members that have had parts replaced (at their own expense) and like you, found out that the new part didn't fix the problem.

On the oil, Extended Life IS synthetic so really all you did was change velocity of the oil. Not as bad as changing from dino 10W60 to synthetic 5W30, but it was STILL the point where your smoking started.

As Rob pointed out, it might be the CAT, but was that taken off right before the smoke started? If YES, rob342 might have found the problem. If NO, your back to the oil or just a coincidence that the smoke started with changing of the oil.

I could not use my car about 1 month & half for "Steering Pressure Hose" because offical FIAT cannot supply the part here in a hurry!! Thats a usual problem which American Car users have! So I understand that why they did not do what you told!!!

I am not sure but they smell started after I changed 10W-60(they write its sythethic at website? ) to 5W-30 full syth. 10w-60 is a wrong choice or 2.0L PT? :/

By the way which will you prefer 10W60? or 5W30 mobil?

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 09 Nov 2012 at 02:14 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the Extended life is also synthetic. Not sure what's recommended for 2.0L PT but never heard of anyone using 10x60 in any PT.

My manual calls for 5X30 or 10W30 depending on temperatures and 5W30 is preferred.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, the Extended life is also synthetic. Not sure what's recommended for 2.0L PT but never heard of anyone using 10x60 in any PT.

My manual calls for 5X30 or 10W30 depending on temperatures and 5W30 is preferred.
Yes thats why I want to use 5W-30 it says it is preffered at workshop manual..
I'm really confused and donnot what to do.. Is it normal that PT Cruiser burn oil at 77Kmiles on it?
Old 09 Nov 2012, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcabrio View Post
. Is it normal that PT Cruiser burn oil at 77Kmiles on it?

NO. So, maybe the first thing to do is a compression check to find out if anything is wrong internally and causing you to smoke.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 05:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Power steering: Check the filter in the reservoir on top of the engine. If it's clogged (as mine was), you will get noisy power steering. I have never seen another car with this problem, so it's likely it would be missed by a number of mechanics.

Oil: Going from 0w-60 to 5w-30 should cause no problems whatsoever. The difference between these oils when cold is very small, and the engine on the PT Cruiser simply isn't capable of exceeding the specs of the 30 when hot. I would not worry about this at all.

Smoke: It's coming from somewhere, so you need to see what fluid you are using - oil, radiator, brake, power steering, transmission. The one that needs refilling the most often is probably the one that's causing the smoke.

I would suggest one possibility is that a clogged power steering reservoir will cause the noise you are hearing, and can cause the reservoir to overflow letting power steering fluid spill off the back of the motor right onto the exhaust, causing a great deal of smoke inside the cabin and under the car.

Low idle: Could be a number of things, including something like a clogged or open PCV system which could also cause smoking from the tail pipe. Same could be said of a failed head gasket letting coolant into the combustion chamber. Really, you need to identify what fluid you are losing most quickly, and that will help you figure out these problems.

Last edited by thesameguy; 09 Nov 2012 at 05:24 pm.