Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Smell antifreeze through heater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2012, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Smell antifreeze through heater.

I have a 2003 PT that I got at the beginning of the year and now every once and a while I smell antifreeze when I turn on the heater. Did some investigation and thought it could be the heater core but the passenger floor is dry and the smell isn't consistent. It takes about a week for the reserve to empty so it's a slow leak. Could it be the water pump?
Old 08 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Smell antifreeze through heater.

couldn't say one way or another. mine has been doing just that since i bought the car over a year ago. i personally think it's the heater core. maybe next spring i'll take the whole dash out and replace it. if that doesn't do the trick, i'll wait until i get closer to 100,000 miles and take it in for the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. i'm sitting at 84,000 miles now.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 04:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Under hood leaks can carry in on the vent system. I would look at the cap, tstat housing and radiator. In that order.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Nov 2012, 11:41 am
Senior Cruiser

i agree. but mine only smells when i turn the dial to heat. if it was coming from a leaky source under the hood, wouldn't the antifreeze smell be constant?
Old 09 Nov 2012, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be a small leak where the hose connect to the core. If you were so lucky. I would certainly rule the under hood out first. If not out there then you might unfortunately be right.

There are a few alternative solutions. If the system is clean and fluid is clean. These block seal products do in fact work. The easier one made by Bars leak, costs about $30 bucks don't go cheapest here. A half a bottle is all you need. Poor directly in the cap or pull a hose and put in that way. Run for 30 min with heater on and your done. Have not had any side affects in over a year. The other types require the removal of antifreeze and a drawn out process. A friend went that rout and even drove 4 hours away and back still no problems at over a year.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Nov 2012, 05:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
i agree. but mine only smells when i turn the dial to heat. if it was coming from a leaky source under the hood, wouldn't the antifreeze smell be constant?
mine did that last year. i never bothered with it, and after not using the heat all summer, it seems to have miraculously fixed itself.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Has anyone found out what the cause is?? I am having same exact issue. Only when I turn dial to heat. Heater core looks like a bear to get to to check it out.
Thanks for any updates! Paul Cruser (yes, it's really my name!)
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey hello ,
I have a used o6 but in excellent shape low miles convert, but a smell comes from the heater vents , like carbon dixocide but when I push the inside vent to cycle air from the inside it stops and never comes back, button off the smell returns ,
shoot my gal says eiouuuuu!

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Jan 2013 at 07:04 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i read that like 5 times. are you saying it smells like exhaust? or coolant?

Tags
coolant, heater core, leak, water pump