Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheat issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2012, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheat issue

I have seen alot of overheat issues on the thread and each case is diffrent. so will ask my question. 2003 PT with 2.4 Non Turbo am having an overheat issue. Fans work New Thermostat and Rad Cap. No Leaks Present but overheats and there is No Heat coming in and no coolant running. So i take it might be the Dreaded Water pump. Should i look for any thing else before i start that daunting task? Thanks for any help its appricated.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheat issue

Does it overheat while moving or when you come to a stop? How do you know both speeds of the fan are working? Is the radiator and overflow tank filled to the correct levels and was the system burped for excess trapped air?
Old 11 Nov 2012, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes both areas are full and fans are running on high. overheats when stopped and moving.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might have a cracked head gasket. Loosing ANY coolant? Any signs of milky fluid in the oil (pull the dipstick)?
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just had this issue with my '03 Cruiser. Thank God it wasn't the head gasket. I replaced the thermostat, and flushed the radiator and replaced my old coolant with HOAT and distilled water.

It's either going to be head gasket, thermostat, water pump, or radiator. Now you have to go through the process of elimination.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:36 pm
Young Cruiser

eh, nevermind, I see you replaced the thermostat
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If it turns out to be your thermostat, go to a dealer to get the Mopar part. Don't get an after market one. It's gonna be about $30-$40.

Flushing the radiator out isn't a hard thing to do. You can get the Prestone Flush and just follow the directions on the bottle. It's going to be an all day project, so start it in the morning if you want to save daylight.
The radiator plug is on the front driver side of the car (just under the front end). There's a diagram in the Haynes manual. If you don't own one, I think there is a copy available here on the forum.

If you're keeping water in your system, and you are over heating with your gauge telling you that your overheating, then it's probably going to be the water pump.

You should still do a radiator flush and add HOAT to your radiator. It will pay off in the long run!