2001 pt cruiser - DESPERATE OWNER IN NEED

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mobius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 pt cruiser - DESPERATE OWNER IN NEED

I need some serious help with my 2001 pt cruiser, and ASAP -

I have been looking for a job forever and have a promising 2nd interview in the morning - I NEED to get this running today, I cant drive in reverse to the interview.

2001 pt cruiser MANUAL Trans
This morning I was running some items to our storage unit. On the way, my cruiser started sputtering and then just stalled. Engine light came on. I coasted off the road and tried to start it up again. I could get it to run fine in neutral but each time I let off the clutch and would try to drive it would stall. I can rev up the rpm's up and down without stall. Its right when I put it under load it stalls.

So, I inched forward a couple hundred feet and decided to turn it toward home. I started it and put it in reverse. IT RAN FINE IN REVERSE.... I drove it all the way home in reverse.

Got home, checked all the vacuum hoses and disconnected the battery. Everything seemed to be in order, so I plugged the battery back in and started it. engine light was off. It went into 1st and drove about 200 yards. Then the light came back on and it stalled. Only way to drive it was reverse......

I am 30 minutes from a shop with a error reader - Even farther to a decent parts store.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Email - Hatfieldshaun@ymail.com
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser - DESPERATE OWNER IN NEED

See if the computer stored a fault code when the engine light came on. Also please post your problem only once. We all see the whole forum so posting in more than one place just confuses the issue.

How to retrieve fault codes.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Nov 2012 at 02:41 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about the double post. I am new to the site and didnt see the performance & Tech area before posting the first one.

I dont have a way to read the code, and another generous poster emailed me to check the linkage. Unfortunatly I have had to work on that linkage before... It isnt the linkage. \

I appreciate the help for anyone and everyone willing to give it.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, sorry again for not seeing your code link

Ok, this is what Ive got:
P1684
P0320
P1391
Old 11 Nov 2012, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles. "Done" indicates that no DTC's are present and the procedure is complete.

P0320 means there's no signal detected from the CKP (Crankshaft Position sensor) while cranking so you might want to replace that. It's right above the oil filter in the back of the engine.

P1391 says "intermittent loss of signal from "either" the CAM OR Camshaft sensor.

Old 11 Nov 2012, 04:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

since it's a 2001, check the wiring harness from the crank position sensor to the alternator to see if it's frayed. happened on both mine and crewzin's. might have rubbed on the passenger side cv shaft.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much, both of you!!!

It was a frayed wire! Fired up, runs great!!!
mnahmnah and Busted_PT like this.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, as soyomb said, mine dropped down to where it hit the spinning half shaft and burnt the wires. Glad you got it fixed.