Gas leaking after fill-up

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2012, 06:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Gas leaking after fill-up

Today I went and filled up to start my work week. I paid for $40 but it started clicking off at about $38.00. I get the last few dollars in there slowly, nothing that I haven't done before. I get home and park in the garage.

Maybe two hours later I'm smelling gas in the house. I go in the garage and I'm like wtf? I see under the car on the passenger side where it has dripped out on the garage floor. The fumes are in the house, im airing it out with fans and the car is outside.

Will filling up like this cause it to spill out somewhere? It never spit back out when filling.

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently about a week ago if that may matter.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas leaking after fill-up

Your last sentence .... Have you filled it all the way to the top after the sending unit was replaced before this last time? If no, that could be an indication that whoever worked on the car didn't do something correct. The sending unit is attached to the pump and filter which has to be taken out of the tank. The tank has to be dropped which has the fuel filler hose, vapor hose attached so anything could have been not tightened properly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 07:27 pm
Young Cruiser

I fill up my car daily because I'm a medical courier. I dont remember capping it off completely this week, however if I did, i would have burned it off immediately as I usually get my fill up as I'm getting on the road. today was different since i filled up and came straight home less than a mile.

I did just drive circles in the neighborhood about 10 miles to burn some off, and I have a cardboard box under the car to catch anything. I'll check in a couple of hours. At the same time, I am going to call the service department that did the repair and let them know so they can schedule to look at it
Old 11 Nov 2012, 07:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh boy. You don't want to overfill like that. The fuel can back up into the evaporative system and cause problems. Perhaps the fuel has expanded somewhat from a change in temperature and pushed out one way or another. Me? I would drive around for an hour or so to get the level down a tick. I can't imagine shoving in 2 more dollars worth after the normal shut off.
Ray_Dockrey likes this.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 07:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I can't imagine shoving in 2 more gallons after the normal shut off.
honestly at these gas prices, a couple dollars would have been less than a gallon, but I definitely see your point. A lesson definitely learned. first click and i'm done!

that drive didnt even move the needle. when i want it to move it doesnt, when i wish it wouldnt move as much it sinks. i cant win
Old 12 Nov 2012, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterChickFL View Post
Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently about a week ago if that may matter.
I recently "F"ed this up on my brother's Jeep when replacing the fuel pump.
He'd done it one before and got gasket out of place, too

I'd guess same thing happened here-
Old 12 Nov 2012, 04:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I can proudly say I wasn't responsible for the fuel sending unit problem. That existed when I got the car, which was only about a month ago

After very close monitoring I did not get any more spillage, no smells or anything. I did talk to my service advisor and I will be taking in later this week for them to check things out.

Again, a valuable lesson learned.