Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tail lights not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2012, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tail lights not working

First of all, I apologize if I have the wrong forum. First time posting in the forum.

My friend has an '04 Cruiser, and he discovered he had no brake lights and no tail lights the other night when he was driving home. Today we replaced the brake light switch, and now 2 out of the 3 brake lights work (the passenger and center brake light are ok, the drivers side light does not work currently). However regular running tail lights do not work.

We also replaced some fuses as well. The drivers side tail light socket had some corrosion on it and the bulb was burnt at the contact. I'm thinking its due to a short somewhere between the fuse box, but I was also contemplating replacing the bulb socket to see if that may help. Headlights and turn signals work just fine.

So basically right now I have a drivers side brake light that doesn't work, and the tail lights don't work under normal running conditions.

Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas of where I can look to repair this?
Old 11 Nov 2012, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tail lights not working

Lots of owners have problems:

Tail Lights Not Working

2005 PT Dream Cruiser - Brake and Tail Lights Stopped Working

brake lights not workin!!!!

Head Lights and Tail lights not working.

stop lights not working...
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

The bulb is a "dual filament", one dimmer filament for the tails and one brighter for the brakes in the same bulb. One can fail and not the other so the whole bulb must be replaced and also they may have different fuses so check all of those out. If the socket is burned or damaged it very well could need to be replaced. It sounds like you're on the right track. Just start with the simple things first, the bulbs and fuses, and work your way up from that.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! We have replaced all fuses and all bulbs. I believe the socket does need to be replaced, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one at the local auto parts store. I've just contacted the dealership to see if that's something they can sell to me.

I am actually a long-time Jeep Wrangler owner ('97 TJ), and have had to learn to do a lot of repairs on my own simply for lack of funds to pay a mechanic. I always go to the forums for help and advice, and thanks to my experience with that, working on another Chrysler vehicle has been fun in a weird sort of way.

I appreciate the help!

Tags
brake lights, tail lights