Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horn honks too long

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2012, 11:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Horn honks too long

I know this sounds like a weird question, and not sure this is the right forum for it, but here goes;

I've noticed that on the rare occasion that I use my horn, even with just a quick touch, it honks for 4 or 5 seconds, way longer than I would usually prefer. (Or to put it another way, the horn keeps honking long after I've removed my hand...

Is there a way to adjust the honking duration, or is it possible that somehow my horn is sticking?

Old 12 Nov 2012, 06:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horn honks too long

You probably have something sticking in the steering wheel. That's where the horn button controls are.

Old 12 Nov 2012, 09:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin! So I guess I have to take the steering wheel off? From the diagram you so kindly posted, it looks like the bolt is underneath the Chrysler wing decal in the center of the wheel? I guess I need to peel this off to remove the wheel?

Old 12 Nov 2012, 09:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Actually you have to pull the airbag off. The horn mechanism is behind the airbag. You do not have to remove the steering wheel. And being that yours is a 2007 it will look different then the image above. I found a thread that shows the 06 and up assembly.

07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 12 Nov 2012 at 09:23 am.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Actually you have to pull the airbag off. The horn mechanism is behind the airbag. You do not have to remove the steering wheel. And being that yours is a 2007 it will look different then the image above. I found a thread that shows the 06 and up assembly.

07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover
Disconnect battery before attempting this!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:13 am
Senior Cruiser

That info was in the link I posted lol plus I thought I would save him from pulling off the Chrysler emblem and being disappointed but I guess I should have mentioned disconnection the battery first lol.

The whole process isn't that hard. I had to take mine off my 09 to install the factory cruise and other then working blind trying to unhook the clips that hold the airbag on it is pretty easy.

The main thing like said above is disconnect the negative and move the cable somewhere it cant touch anything. Then hit the brakes a few times to rid of any residual power and I waited an extra 15 minutes before starting.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I haven't actually seen the "switch" that's on top of the airbag stack, under the steering wheel trim in a Cruiser, but usually it will be some sort of curved or domed spring steel that can snap down to make make contact and complete a circuit while being pressed, then when released will snap back breaking contact. It should be nothing more than a waffer thin, momentary switch that's pressed and released. If the horn is continuing on after you let off, something is binding or delaying or the tension in the spring steel is failing.

I haven't had your problem with the extra delay but once on another vehicle, I mashed the horn button hard in a traffic situation and had the horn remain on so that I had to get under the bumper and pull the wire to disconnect the horn. A week later when I got the time to figure it all out, I reconnected the horn and the problem had cured itself. In my case, it was me mashing beyon what the horn engineers had designed for but in your case maybe the switch is wearing out or failing some other way.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 09:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looking forward to being able to tap out morse code on my horn, instead of just dashes Also looking forward to avoiding airbag-face

Tags
honking, horn