PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help again - Sputtering and Back firing

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2012, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Error codes P0335 & P0339 - Questions

I just figured out how to get error codes - I have error codes P0335 and P0339 - I believe that is sensor errors - Is that correct?

Is it cam and crank shaft sensor codes? Is it easily fixed? I read on some to disconnect the negative battery cable and then to reset codes.

Do I do that and then see if the codes reappear - so I know that it's the sensors?

Sorry - don't mean to be a dummy - I am just in a situation of not being able to afford to take it to be repaired and I want to learn how to fix my car.

Last edited by clickhere4dawn; 13 Nov 2012 at 08:19 pm. Reason: better phrase question
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error codes P0335 & P0339 - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickhere4dawn View Post
I just figured out how to get error codes - I have error codes P0335 and P0339 - I believe that is sensor errors - Is that correct?

Is it cam and crank shaft sensor codes? Is it easily fixed? I read on some to disconnect the negative battery cable and then to reset codes.

Do I do that and then see if the codes reappear - so I know that it's the sensors?

Sorry - don't mean to be a dummy - I am just in a situation of not being able to afford to take it to be repaired and I want to learn how to fix my car.

You need to check the wiring from the crank sensor and see if it is damaged. It can rub against the axle shaft and cause a short.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Please help again - Sputtering and Back firing

Okay reset the codes and car started and ran fine. Went to the store and it wouldn't start - then started and ran fine. No codes

Thinking the crankshaft sensor is going bad?

Do you have any pictures or can you tell me where the crank shaft and wiring is?

Old 14 Nov 2012, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Found this for you.
2005 pt cruise with error code P0335 (CKP..circuit - JustAnswer
If you do replace the sensor, get a Chrysler one (many dealers sell online, so you can price-compare) don't get a "mystery" brand sensor.

Just noticed that there is an error in the diagram in the bottom of the link I posted.
It shows 2 locations for crank position sensor - the one on the upper left side should read Camshaft Position sensor - the crank sensor is near the oil filter, correctly point out on the right of the diagram.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 14 Nov 2012 at 09:30 am. Reason: saw error in diagram
Old 18 Nov 2012, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well - Had to take the car apart to get to the Crankshaft sensor - the sensor broke in the engine. Also replaced the starter since I was told it was going bad - but didn't go to the dealership went to CarQuest - put it all back together and guess what.......starter is bad. So now half to tear the car all apart again and remove the starter - does - any one know a trick to getting the starter off without taking the whole car apart? We had to take the air filter holder, battery, fan and front to get the starter out!

Not loving my car right now!
Old 18 Nov 2012, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try one of these:

How to Install a Starter in a Chrysler PT | eHow.com

How to replace 2002 pt cruiser starter - FixYa

need help changing starter on 2001 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a Turbo - we couldn't get the starter out - I believe the structural collar is the triangle looking bracket under the starter - if you remove that is it easier to get the starter out by dropping it down?

On a funny note - I bruise really easy and with wrangling my arms to try to get the charming starter out - I have bruises up and down my forearms - and I have 2 job interviews tomorrow - I look like "50 Shades of Grey"
Old 20 Nov 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am about to give up. I am black and blue up and down my arms. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor and the new starter (#2) from the dealership - the mechanic says the negative (green) goes on the bottom and the positive (red) goes on top. My car starts up just fine - the first time - runs great - shut it off and then nothing, nada. It's a new battery - maybe it's low from being taking it and out of the car and setting on concrete.

Anything - I am one broke girl - who is just tired!
Old 22 Nov 2012, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well - my car got towed to the shop and I still don't know what is wrong with it. I should know tomorrow. I hope it isn't too much.

I guess I just wasn't specific enough when I bought starters. I didn't specify I wanted the multiple start starter - so I got the one start starters!
Old 23 Nov 2012, 12:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickhere4dawn View Post
It's a new battery - maybe it's low from being taking it and out of the car and setting on concrete.
i hope you get it all sorted out. just wanted to share that setting a battery on concrete won't ruin it. don't ever worry about that..

this is taken from interstates website.

>>
Fact or Fiction

Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete?

NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy?

Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.

Historical Basis
You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.

Today’s Technology

For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. In fact, the Interstate Batteries poly material is at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration.

Battery Discharging

The fact is, all batteries self- discharge whether they’re sitting on the shelf or on concrete. This is why we regularly rotate your inventory. As the temperature increases, a battery’s self-discharge level also increases. Some lead acid batteries discharge 4% - 8% per month at a temperature of 80°F. The level of self-discharge is also contingent upon the type of lead plate alloy plus the age and cleanliness of the battery.

If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime, which is electrically conductive, it self-discharges more rapidly. This surface layer may actually allow you to measure the DC voltage across the battery’s poly case (using a 10 meg-ohm digital voltmeter). For that reason, we recommend that you always keep batteries clean, whether they’re in storage or in a vehicle.

Grandfather Clause

You may now be thinking that you know more than your grandfather, who tells you that batteries stored on concrete will be damaged. Next time your grandfather says that, I recommend that you just say "Okay" and continue about your business. I’m a grand-father now, and I know that we like to have our way and we like to be right. If my grandson, for instance, tries to tell me that concrete won’t damage a battery, you know what I’ll say? I’ll say if you drop a battery on concrete, it will be damaged.
<<
Carl48 and Busted_PT like this.