Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

A couple of weeks ago, I develop a miss at idle in my '08 Cruiser. After checking/replacing the usual suspects, I am a bit confused about what my next steps should be. I replaced the plugs (Bosch Platinum) and the wires (Bosch, too), replaced the upper intake gaskets, I changed out the battery for an Interstate 5 year (routine maintenance) added a bottle of injector cleaner to the fuel system, and yesterday I ran a can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner through the intake system. The cleaner helped a little, but the light is back on again. The car runs fine at speed, and gas mileage has not changed. I can't feel a miss at RPM's over idle. One other thing - the alternator seems to be acting up a little bit. The lights get brighter and dimmer occasionally, and a couple of times the belt started squealing at idle - like the alternator was siezing a bit. I am going to swap it out, but I don't believe it is related to the misfire. I am thinking injectors, coil, or burnt valve. Anybody have any ideas? BTW - 2.4L non turbo, 90K miles.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

Adjust the belt might be loose. Low voltage will cause some funny things. Check and see if you have any cracks in the coil.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try swapping plug & wire from 4 with another cylinder - to rule out a bad wire/plug.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Nov 2012, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Try swapping plug & wire from 4 with another cylinder - to rule out a bad wire/plug.
Normally that would be good but He has already replaced both with new. But moving an injector would be something to try. A cylinder compression and leak down test might also be considered before spending more money.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Nov 2012, 04:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Busted - I think a leakdown test makes the most sense at this point. Gotta find some time to do it. I read somewhere that #4 cylinder tends to carbon up quicker than the other 3 cylinders. I might try 1 more can of CCC anyways. Will keep you posted.