Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Sensor/Switch Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2012, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Sensor/Switch Removal

The Oil Pressure Sending Unit can leak. It is often difficult to identify as the source of a leak because the location of the unit is somewhat hidden and oil will slowly drip down the back of the engine onto other parts, including the oil filter and oil pan. This thread may save you time and frustration if you decide to replace the unit yourself.

Cost:
Oil pressure sending unit $15 + $10 shipping.
(www.wermopar.com). Also available from auto parts stores, but I suggest buying the original Mopar part from a Chrysler dealer or online if possible.

The oil pressure sending unit is a sensor located on the rear wall of the engine. It is near the driver's side below the air filter and above the oil filter. If the car is on a lift, you can view it from underneath. To find it from above, you need to remove the air filter box and helpful to move the fuse block aside. You can then view the wires connected to the sensor, but may not be able to see the unit itself. But if you feel the wires, you can follow them to the unit.

Tools:
The main tool needed is a 27mm deep socket with 6 points (hexagon). Other people have reported using a 1-1/16 inch deep socket or 26mm deep socket. I bought all of these sizes at my local Orchard Hardware store, finding none fit properly because they had 12 points. I finally found the 27mm 6 point deep socket at an independent auto parts store. It fit perfectly. Cost was $12.

Access:
If you have a car lift, access is tight but not too difficult from below. Without a lift, the access is possible from above but requires removing the air filter. It is also helpful to move the fuse block aside. It is a tight fit and you may need to feel your way down and around.

Removal:
Place an oil pan under the area to catch any leaks. The wires are connected to the sensor by a plastic connector cap (green). To remove the connector, you must unlock the red tab by pushing it in. The red tab is on the top side and slides side-to-side. You do not need to pry it. Push it with your finger even if you can't see it. Then grasp the plastic connector and pull it off. It helps to wiggle the connector gently while pulling. Next, place the deep socket over the oil pressure sending unit and unscrew it to loosen. Space is tight so your ratchet handle may not have much room. Once loosened, you can remove the ratchet and just use your hand to remove the sensor unit.

Installation:
Have the new sensor ready. Make sure the threads are clean and insert it. Hand tighten slowly at first to make sure you do not cross-thread it. Then use the deep socket to tighten snug, but do not over tighten. Lastly, reconnect the wire connector. Move the fuse block back into position and replace the air filter box. Done!

Last edited by blindkarma; 15 Jan 2013 at 01:22 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Sensor/Switch Removal

Thanks for your input. All things we've heard before but never hurts to repeat good advice.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2012 at 03:50 pm.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

n/m...

Last edited by blindkarma; 15 Jan 2013 at 01:19 pm.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It will help a lot when people do a search for "oil pressure sending unit". Again, thanks.
Old 05 Feb 2013, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advise, it has been helpful. But I'm still having a problem. I'm pushing the red tab in, and trying to slide the connector off, but it's not budging. Is there something I may be missing?

I've included some photos, maybe someone will see something I don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130204_142754(1).jpg (93.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20130204_142806.jpg (88.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20130204_142813(1).jpg (92.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20130204_142813.jpg (92.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 20130205_131654.jpg (84.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20130205_131658.jpg (84.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 05 Feb 2013, 03:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Never mind. I had it wrong.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 05 Feb 2013 at 03:41 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nice pics. Glad you figured it out. Worth noting to others, Do NOT pull on the wire itself. Also, one end of the red tab in those pics appears slightly broken. To slide the tab, I found it only takes a little push with your finger. Then you can grasp the base of the green plastic and pull it off.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I haven't quite figured it out. I found the red tab, but no matter which position it's it, the connector won't budge. I think the connectors release lever is broken of also.

Tags
oil pressure sending unit