Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heat control knob not working properly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2012, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Heat control knob not working properly

Last summer a mechanic replaced the evaporator coil. The AC worked fine, but I didn't try the heater since it was a hot summer and didn't need it. Now that the weather is colder, I need the heat. When I turned the heat control knob to the hot position, the amount of fan air through the vent was substantially reduced and the knob bounced back to the heat neutral position when I let it go. As I moved the knob back to cold, the air through the vents increased. It was air speed was highest at the coldest position setting. I do get heat in the hot position and cold in the cold setting, so the temperature does change. It's just the reduced air in the hot position and the bounce back of the knob from hot to neutral. I'm wondering if anyone knows what would cause this.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 01:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Heat control knob not working properly

That problem is caused by the wires that controls the doors inside the heater box. You may need to remove the console cover and knobs and see if the wire is stuck. If the cables are free, maybe your mechanic didn't lubricate the door mechanism and that prevents it from moving
Old 19 Nov 2012, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK thanks. I'm not sure how to proceed to remove the front panel with the heater knob, but I guess I can try. When I took it to the dealer, they wanted $150 just to investigate and if it's a stuck door another $800 - $900 to fix. I hope it's the cable and that I can get to it. Thanks again.
Old 06 Dec 2012, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I eventually had to take it to the dealer. It turns out that the mechanic who installed the AC evaporator, did not reinstall the heater core properly. It was blocking the hot air causing back pressure so that the heat control knob popped back. Plus the fins were smashed and there was a small leak. Set me back $1200. Yuk!
Old 06 Dec 2012, 01:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Wow that sucks !!!
Old 06 Dec 2012, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Tags
heater switch, reduced air