PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

sputtering pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2012, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool sputtering pt

I have an 01 pt cruiser 108000 miles, starts and runs flawlessly but sometimes when you start it before putting it in gear just sitting still, you will get the ignition ding 1 time the engine light will come on and it stalls as if you shut it off, but always starts right back up no engine light on and no codes stored, just as if the computer was reset. Now get this... if you are driving down the road the same situation arises, you get the ding the check engine light flickers and it tries to stall out, if you try to maintain speed it lurches but if you floor it and take off its fine or if you let off the accelerator and reapply it, the engine will smooth out and the engine light goes out and once again no codes stored just as if the computer was recently erased of all codes, because of the mil status on the scanner. replaced crank and cam sensors with no improvement, Checked car all over for loose grounds and connections, very clean nice vehicles easy to work on not filthy anywhere almost showroom condition, sometimes wont do it for a day or so, sometimes happens numerous times on a short trip around town.... strange! I know! any Ideas? Also the engine computer has a sticker on it that says remanufactured, and I have read that they are not plug and play and need to be flashed could this be the issue and someone replaced the computer without flashing it?

Old 19 Nov 2012, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: sputtering pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixitup View Post
I have an 01 pt cruiser 108000 miles, starts and runs flawlessly but sometimes when you start it before putting it in gear just sitting still, you will get the ignition ding 1 time the engine light will come on and it stalls as if you shut it off, but always starts right back up no engine light on and no codes stored, just as if the computer was reset. Now get this... if you are driving down the road the same situation arises, you get the ding the check engine light flickers and it tries to stall out, if you try to maintain speed it lurches but if you floor it and take off its fine or if you let off the accelerator and reapply it, the engine will smooth out and the engine light goes out and once again no codes stored just as if the computer was recently erased of all codes, because of the mil status on the scanner. replaced crank and cam sensors with no improvement, Checked car all over for loose grounds and connections, very clean nice vehicles easy to work on not filthy anywhere almost showroom condition, sometimes wont do it for a day or so, sometimes happens numerous times on a short trip around town.... strange! I know! any Ideas? Also the engine computer has a sticker on it that says remanufactured, and I have read that they are not plug and play and need to be flashed could this be the issue and someone replaced the computer without flashing it?

Many reman computers are plug and play. Not sure in your case. I would think It's been replaced chasing the problem you're having now.
Maybe in the ignition in the column.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Nov 2012, 05:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you use Mopar sensors for cam and crank? Many folks have found that aftermarket sensors flat out don't work.

When you're driving and it does it - is it when you ease off the gas??

I'm wondering about Idle Air Controller - IAC.

Nasty problem.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Nov 2012, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: sputtering pt

If it does it at all while driving it is usually when maintaining speed if you adjust speed either way it will go away and run smoothly again.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 08:51 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure this will help but it's free and easy to try..... double check that the harness plugs on the PCM are plugged in tight, even if you have to remove them and plug them in again. Use care to not break the red locking tabs which is so easy to do.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no change :/