Advertisements
Self-test List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2012, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Self-test List

I haven't had a chance to sort through all the forum yet, but does anyone know what the self-test list is, for when the battery gets reconnected? I went to get my car smogged today (the joys of CA!) and it failed, due to not having finished all of the tests from having the battery disconnected. I'm hoping to be able to speed up the completion, since my registration is due in December. I guess I should have taken care of that before changing the timing belt and pump.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 12:43 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Self-test List

You just need to drive it normally for a couple of days. Drive it around the block a few times to warm up and then get on the highway for 5 or 10 miles. 2 days are probably enough but 3 wouldn't hurt and by then the computer will have run a self test on all the monitored systems and should pass smog if everything is okay. It wont speed things up by putting a bunch of miles on in one trip because the computer wants to monitor the systems from a couple of cold starts.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 12:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom39 View Post
I haven't had a chance to sort through all the forum yet, but does anyone know what the self-test list is, for when the battery gets reconnected? I went to get my car smogged today (the joys of CA!) and it failed, due to not having finished all of the tests from having the battery disconnected. I'm hoping to be able to speed up the completion, since my registration is due in December. I guess I should have taken care of that before changing the timing belt and pump.
Have all the codes cleared in the PCM. Go drive your PT for a few hours or at least 100 miles, after which if you have no engine codes and all the emission system in tack and properly functional you will pass the test.
I do not think that Inland Empire, CA is a smog enhanced SMOG testing required county? But my book is outdated from 2004 so it may have changed?
A good idea is also to change your engine oil and filter prior your testing appointment. Schedule an exact time so that you can have the engine at engine operating temperature before you get to the testing station. If you must wait try not to let the engine cool go drive around the block or so until you can drive directly into the shops bay for testing. They will understand what you are doing and most obliged you in a friendly way. And if they don't refer them to me and I will gladly explain the state of CA BAR regulation pertaining to proper Emission testing a vehicle to them.

Good luck and post up your results.

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Nov 2012 at 01:02 am.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 01:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat22 View Post
You just need to drive it normally for a couple of days. Drive it around the block a few times to warm up and then get on the highway for 5 or 10 miles. 2 days are probably enough but 3 wouldn't hurt and by then the computer will have run a self test on all the monitored systems and should pass smog if everything is okay. It wont speed things up by putting a bunch of miles on in one trip because the computer wants to monitor the systems from a couple of cold starts.
This is good info much the same as I posted. The only thing is MOPAR PCMs are not as sophisticated as BMW, Volvo,Porsche and few other in that category so they are not as much operating time sensitive to need more then one normal system cycle performed to clear the system readiness. I am thinking you drive something other then a PT
having done hundreds of CA smog testing there was always ways to get around the ECU/PCM cycling process on most vehicles. Other wise there would be a lot of angry returning customers. Los Gatos nice...Lived in Santa Cruz for 13 years!
Old 22 Nov 2012, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was surprised that that was the reason it didn't pass, since I've been driving it almost daily after the battery was re-connected. And I don't have any codes at all coming up on the 'key-dance' display. I guess I'll wait 'til next week and see if it passes. Or maybe go to another shop.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I do not think that Inland Empire, CA is a smog enhanced SMOG testing required county? But my book is outdated from 2004 so it may have changed?
Er... "Inland Empire" isn't a place, it's a colloquial name for a collection of cities in Riverside and San Bernadino county. You won't find "Inland Empire" in a smog book. The core of the IE (Rancho, Ontario, Fontana, etc.) are all and have always been enhanced smog areas. They are *brutalized* by smog that collects up against the foothills. The outskirts of the IE (out towards Victorville and Palm Desert) are generally not enhanced smog areas - but some are. You would need to know the ZIP code in order to determine what zone you're in. Here's the 2001 map showing the aforementioned cities inclusion (plus Palm Springs and Hemet):

Here's the current map: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...rogram_Map.pdf

As far as OBDII readiness goes, it generally takes more than one key cycle and one drive to set them. Things like the evap system pretty much require a shutdown in order to self-test. A rule of thumb is two cycles of about twenty minutes of surface street driving at speeds up to about 30 mph followed by ten minutes or so of highway speed driving. Stop and have lunch or something between the two cycles and you should be good. I generally do one cycle, park the car overnight, and then do another the next morning. Rarely have I had a car not set readiness. The key is variation - multiple speeds, acceleration, cruising, and a couple key cycles for startup/shutdown system (like evap, AIR, etc.).

If you are concerned it's still not set, you might be able to ask the smog tech or a local shop to check OBD before doing the rest of the test - it takes one minute. Had I seen this post yesterday, you could have stopped by in Rancho & I could have checked 'em, but I'm back up in Sac now.

It's not a bad idea to pick up one of those uber cheap Harbor Freight OBDII scanners.... they'll tell you for certain, and are nice for pulling codes if/when you get them. Just be sure the one you choose shows readiness... some just show codes.

Last edited by thesameguy; 26 Nov 2012 at 02:08 am.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

There is a code that is "stored" for a while after the battery power has been disconnected. This is to raise a red flag at the inspection that other codes may have been wiped instead of fixed. For what it's worth, I have heard/read that a certain amount of driving cycles and re-starts will eventually clear the "battery" code.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 12:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Again, more misinformation. Here we go: the code you're talking about is P1684 (ask me how I know-- I reset my PCM frequently and see this code all the time). The code is listed if the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. What's that mean? No amount of driving, whether it's 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 50 miles, 100 miles, oil change or not.. will NOT clear the code. You need to find someone with a scantool to clear the code, or make sure you start your car that amount of times prior to taking it in for your inspection.
Ray_Dockrey likes this.

Old 26 Nov 2012, 05:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Again, more misinformation. Here we go: the code you're talking about is P1684 (ask me how I know-- I reset my PCM frequently and see this code all the time). The code is listed if the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. What's that mean? No amount of driving, whether it's 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 50 miles, 100 miles, oil change or not.. will NOT clear the code. You need to find someone with a scantool to clear the code, or make sure you start your car that amount of times prior to taking it in for your inspection.
This is interesting. Is this stored as a confirmed code or a pending code? Obviously it's not setting a CEL so it's must be pending? Having a pending code will not (in California, anyway) cause a smog test fail. Only a live code will. I don't think a code like this would affect readiness, either, since it's not part of a monitored emissions system. Here, they don't care if you wiped codes three minutes prior so long as the computer says the car is ready.

Last year when I did the head gasket on the PT, I did my normal cycle as described above then got the car smogged in an enhanced area (Sacramento). There is no way there were 50 key cycles between reconnecting the battery & the test, even with my paranoid startup/check for leaks/shutdown inspection once it was back together. *Maybe 20 or 25. The last readiness check to set was, as you'd expect, catalyst monitoring but it set within 40 or 50 miles (that's a guess, based on two ~20 minute drives at ~65mph).
Old 27 Nov 2012, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the info, everyone! My guess was that I hadn't reached fifty starts yet, and didn't get the code cleared first. I plan to get an obd II tool after payday, soon.