Advertisements
help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carl48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2012, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default help

i have an 01 limited, and i have been told my pt is making this horrible noise going down the road...other people in other cars can hear it, i cant hear it cause i am hard of hearing, so i have to take their word for it. they tell me it sounds like its comming from the front, possibly the drivers side...theres a rattle and a whistle at the same time. i have taken it to 4 different mechanics and no one can tell me what is going on. had the head gasket replaced about 6 months ago after it blew, and ever since then it has been making this noise. im very frustrated and embarrassed driving this car down the road. can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem may or may not be? i appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help

If you've been to 4 different "mechanics" and none of them can find the problem, all we can do is guess that those guys didn't look to hard or didn't want your business or didn't want to take the time to help. We can't ask you questions about the noise since you can't hear it, like does it go higher in pitch the faster you go or does it go away when you turn the wheel. You might have a bad wheel baring, or your front brakes are about gone down to the low point of the warning squeal or something real bad like a tie rod or front strut is about to fall off. My advice, keep looking till you find a qualified mechanic.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

By any chance do you have one of those small video cameras, like the very inexpensive Flip Ultra. They are small, incredibly easy to use, and you can hang them all over the place to video your car.

Here's a video of mine, I stuck a piece of velcro on the back of it, then stuck a piece on the lower lip of my PT, stuck the camera there and drove down the road to see how well it worked. Does great. When you get done, peel off the velcro on the car and clean where it was, and voila. This way you can up the videos to Youtube and then post the link here and we can hear what noises you're talking about.

I've got videos from all four sides of my PT, under the hood, and under the body, just for grins!
Old 28 Nov 2012, 04:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Great idea...that's really cool.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 04:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just guessing...the whistle could be an air intake leak; the rattle could be a bad strut.
Chromenut likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Seen many PT's that, after being up on a lift, have rattles in the back end. The rear coils can shift just a bit and it makes them 'unseated' and they make a lot of rattling in the back end. Could be that too...