PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Longer oil filter for 2.4L NA

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2012, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Longer oil filter for 2.4L NA

Looking at the specs on several oil filter mfgrs web sites for larger filters. It looks like a filter for a turbo is about 1.2" longer than the NA engine filter. Thread and gasket size are the same. Anyone use this or any other longer oil filter?

Just changed my oil and filter last weekend and the filter just looked so darn small.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Longer oil filter for 2.4L NA

It is a nice thought but unless you live in a hi dust area it really will not make any significant difference.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Nov 2012, 07:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's actually more than just a nice thought. Plenty of benefits to me.

I'm more interested in what fits and matches the oem specs, but with larger filter area. The 'will it physically fit' part.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 09:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Turbo oil filter on non turbo???
Old 23 Nov 2012, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok well make sure you read the by-pass valve spec's.

This larger then stock oil filter conversion concept became a street mod in the late 70's when someone noticed larger filters on "Dump Trucks" lol. Actually large Heavy Duty purpose vehicles from vehicle manufacture. These heavy duty factory built vehicles where designed to be used if necessary in area's where there would be a lot of dust and dirt in the area of their operation so having a larger filter capacity necessary. Later car enthusiastic started thinking it "kool" to have larger or even dual filter set up on their street cars. And some believe that it give you better filtration and more oil for cooling and lubricating the engine. This has always been a "Myth" proven time and time again there is no advantage going to larger capacity oil filters unless you are in a heavily dirty air area of operation.
This in formation can be confirmed by contacting any of the OIL Filter companies like FRAM, Purolator, WIX etc. I did just make it up off the top of my head for fun!

The reason I am making this information more clear is so members reading this thread will not start thinking that their OEM filter is less capable of fundamentally doing the task of keeping the oil clean and need to change to a larger cased oil filter.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Nov 2012 at 12:07 pm. Reason: spelling what else?? lol
Old 23 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you have two oil filters available to purchase at approximately the same price, what is the advantage of choosing the smaller one?
rob342 likes this.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Thanks!
Old 23 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv3 View Post
If you have two oil filters available to purchase at approximately the same price, what is the advantage of choosing the smaller one?
Remember at one time you could get this huge warranty. If the manufacture had any doubt about the capabilities of the filter they would, like with other things revised and changed it. They had no intentions of taking a bath on engine failures due to an undersized oil filter.There are several here with out the mod with mileage in the 200k range on stock stuff. That said, I don't think there is any advantage or disadvantage except the need of a bit more oil than the stock filter. So do what you want. The other larger one I would have to do some research such as contact the filter company and see if they felt that there would be any side affects on that particular filter to engine combination. I myself am more concerned about what my engine breathes as that air is directly digested into the engine itself. And plays a much larger role in the amount contaminates in the oil. Just a thought.
Ray_Dockrey and Badglas like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Nov 2012, 03:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I run the turbo filter on the wifes 06' non turbo all the time. More material for more filtering and a little more oil capacity are the bonuses imo.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 03:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd agree average driver doesn't need it-
most of the things discussed here aren't needs, tho!

Mopar engines, with no other changes, went from Ford filter (full size) to short Ford, then tiny for no reason* except to save oil ($)

During cold weather, filter will operate in 'bypass' mode (perhaps even in warm weather)- I'd assume more surface area would lessen bypass time

* less oil heat up quicker, it's possible this was a consideration for efficiency, but I doubt it for several reasons