Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jwv3
  • 1 Post By clickhere4dawn
  • 1 Post By xwing777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2012, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question One start Starters

Yes it's me again....I am sorry to be such a pain. My car is still in the shop and they called to say I had a bad starter. This is starter number 3....I replaced the crankshaft sensor, the starter and it will start once. Then it clicks but doesn't start. Replaced the starter with a Mopar starter...started once and it wont start again. It clicks but doesn't start. I tried jump starting it no go. So I had it towed to the shop. They checked all the electrical said it's good. The also said I had the starter wired up correctly and the engine will start manually - the starter just wont work. I called the dealership and they said Tuesday for a replacement. I just think it's strange that 2 starters and both were bad?

Any one got any other suggestions? Has any one else had this happen?
Old 24 Nov 2012, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: One start Starters

Your not a pain Dawn and yes, it's strange about your starter problems. Make sure it's started a number of times at the dealer before you take it back. Seems to me, something else is wrong here. Has anyone checked the voltage to the starter solenoid? Supposedly it's not sold separately and you need to buy the starter/solenoid together but if the solenoid is burning out and causing the starter not to work, the dealer might blame the whole thing on the starter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know what you've done before but here are a few things I would look into if you haven't already. Load test the battery. Check alternator output. Check the battery cable integrity, both positive and grounds as well as the connections to the alternator and starter. Sometimes the cables looks good from the outside but have corrosion just under the insulation near the ends.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 25 Nov 2012, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The shop said they checked the electrical system and it was all good. I did get a new battery and connectors on the ends. The wierd thing is the starter wasn't bad to begin with. I was told it was starting to go and so I replaced it since I had to remove it to replace the crankshaft sensor.

I do not get any fault codes either. I guess my car is as tempermental as me.
rob342 likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The starter was connected wrong. Both the red and the green go on the top bolt - like my daughter and I said but the dealership technician said the green went on the bottom. So the new starter will be in tomorrow morning and we will see if we can make it a multiple start starter!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: One start Starters

Okay - I am about to pull my hair out! The car has been running great. I came out of the store and won't start. The starter is locked up again. There must be something else going on -

there is no codes either - I know some have wrote about the wiring harness and the wires to the starter - I really don't know the full story about it.

Please if any one can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Dawn
Old 15 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I had a buddy who R&R his engine and then had starters go one after another.
Turns out the genius bent the flexplate, so it (ring gear) chewed up starter bendix.

Ask if there's physical damage to starter bendix
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Uptown - I am mechanically inclined just enough to get myself into trouble. So please bear with me.

I don't know what the bendix or the other thing are....so could you please explain more.

Old 16 Dec 2012, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

The red flag is you said they replaced the battery cable ends. If they did that there had to be corrosion so im betting there is corrosion on the other ends and/or inside the cable.

The air box and battery will have to be removed to even see where the grounds are attached. It doesnt take very much on these cars to cause havoc with electrical problems such as this.

They can take jumper cables and hookup directly to the starter while on the car to see if it does actually work and not other problems with your car.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd guess it's an external problem, and what x-wing said is FAR more likely,
here's what I mean,

'bendix' (aka starter drive) is located on starter, an actually engages 'ring gear' on flexplate (technically called a 'driveplate' but not common useage)

Flexplate is just a piece of tin. If engine is mishandled while it or transmission is removed it'll bend.
It can and WILL break under normal service(see below)
Bolts from flexplate to torque converter/clutch can and WILL loosen under normal service
That bend will cause ringgear to chew up benidix area of starter.

So, starter bendix:

Starter bendix in starter (you can see it just 'peeking' out):

A ring gear on a flexplate: (note the flexplate is cracked)

We convert ours from flexplates to traditional flywheels for durability: