Powertrain Control Module 2001

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XtrmDC2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Powertrain Control Module 2001

Hello from Australia
My friends manual PT Cruiser 2001 PCM died and as Chrysler dealer no longer has replacements I managed to source a new one with details below. Will it work with a manual transmission ?It will be fitted and programmed at a Chrysler dealer.Thanks Stump
P.S It only has 51,000Km on the clock. (31,690 miles)

For Sale
Chrysler Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for 2001 PT Cruiser with 2.0L and automatic transmission..
Part number: #5033206AD
This module will need to be programmed by a Chrysler dealer ( software, VIN number, secret key data).
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Powertrain Control Module 2001

Did you ask the dealer about any of this? If they tell you no. Right or wrong it's not going to matter. Try one of those refurbishing companies. Maybe they can help you.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

In the many years I have been on a couple of PT Cruiser forums I don't believe I have ever known of anyone who tried to use a PCM from an automatic in a manual. Because there are a million plus Cruisers in the US, the correct PCMs are not that hard to locate here. I think I recall hearing that the first year, 2001, PCM was very different with the TCM (for the automatic transmission) being seperate and all other years had the TCM part of the PCM. For that reason, there is a better chance it might work for the 2001 or it might work but show a trans "trouble code". In the newer years, the automatic and the manual PCM look the same but the wire harness for the manual Cruiser only has plugs for the first three ports in the PCM while the automatic has four. I'm not sure about the 2001, though????

In general, I have always heard that the PCM was specific to the same year and the same transmission. I wish I could give you an exact answer but in this case, you may just have to attempt it and see what happens.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

i use the automatic computers in stick shift mustangs because they have more agressive spark and fuel curves, as well as no rev limiter. to make this work you have to rewire the neutral safety switch, or the car will not start when you turn the key.

i helped a friend swap a manual trans into a mazda RX-7. the only problem we had is after swapping the trans(using the automatic ECU), the car would not start. we had to re-connect the MLVS switch off the automatic trans and set it to neutral, and then it started fine. -you may have an issue because of this. additionally, your neutral safety switch may no longer function.

one other thing i would be seriously concerned with is i believe someone said the automatic PT's only rev to 3,000 or so in neutral. your car may do this in any gear(but i don't know)

if it were my car, i would NOT chance it.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:55 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Maybe you can call these guys...

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser ECM/PCM
rob342 likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thankyou for the feed back.The Dealer did say it should work.Using a automatic PCM on a manual car.He also said it would not work the other way round if it was a manual PCM put on a automatic car.I went ahead and bought the PCM for $300 and will give it a go.The Dealer originally told my friend the part was not available and the car is now a write off.
Thanks for the link and will give them a try if there are problems with the PCM.
Cheers Stump