PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
anybody try the $54 radiator

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default anybody try the $54 radiator

so.. my radiator is leaking from the crimped seam by the battery. this is the first car i've owned with a plastic radiator and the first car i've had to replace a radiator on.

since i can't even find an all metal radiator for this car, i'm thinking i should just get the cheapest one from rock auto. -well, unless anyone has a reason not to.

has anybody tried the $54 rock auto radiator?

More Information for TYC 2298
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: anybody try the $54 radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
so.. my radiator is leaking from the crimped seam by the battery. this is the first car i've owned with a plastic radiator and the first car i've had to replace a radiator on.

since i can't even find an all metal radiator for this car, i'm thinking i should just get the cheapest one from rock auto. -well, unless anyone has a reason not to.

has anybody tried the $54 rock auto radiator?

More Information for TYC 2298
Yes. The bucket got that radiator. Kael and I used a $100 radiator on the first PT. Laid side by side, I don't think you could tell them apart. I've had no problems with either. Both held 28 inches of vacuum and 18 psi of pressure.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Yes. The bucket got that radiator. Kael and I used a $100 radiator on the first PT. Laid side by side, I don't think you could tell them apart. I've had no problems with either. Both held 28 inches of vacuum and 18 psi of pressure.

Ron
thank you for your quick reply. i'm happy to see it! that makes my day!

i thought this would be one of those posts that never gets answered and slowly fades away. heh. "the bucket" lol.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 05:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used some TYC parts in my '02 Jetta a while back, after being assured by a reputable specialty parts shop they were of good quality and virtually indistinguishable from other non-OE brands of parts. I got them, used them, loved them. Zero problems.

Last month I put a $54 TYC radiator in the '01 PT and, as expected, it was indistinguishable from the Nissens/Valeo versions of the part. In fact, it came in a Koyo box... so it's not even a TYC part. :lol:

Who knows how long it will last, but at $54 I almost don't care. Radiators rarely fail catastrophically, and it's hardly a big deal to change in the PT anyway.
rob342 likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just to through this out. I have tightened the crimp flange using a 3" wide jawed vice grip and set to a certain gap and follow the flange all the way around the tank to repair this type of leak.
xwing777 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
thank you for your quick reply. i'm happy to see it! that makes my day!

i thought this would be one of those posts that never gets answered and slowly fades away. heh. "the bucket" lol.
You're welcome Rob. Kael named it. Pt in a Bucket, the Bucket for short. Once Kael names something, it's carved in stone. I intended to put the vanity plate on it by now, but Kael has yet to decide which one he likes. I think he's down to 5 choices.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Just to through this out. I have tightened the crimp flange using a 3" wide jawed vice grip and set to a certain gap and follow the flange all the way around the tank to repair this type of leak.
i read where you wrote that in another thread and i thought about trying it. i wrote you back. then i thought about it more, and deleted my post. i'm pretty gifted at fixing stuff, but i'm also pretty gifted at breaking stuff. old brittle plastic on a critical component of my vehicle seems like something i'd break.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
i read where you wrote that in another thread and i thought about trying it. i wrote you back. then i thought about it more, and deleted my post. i'm pretty gifted at fixing stuff, but i'm also pretty gifted at breaking stuff. old brittle plastic on a critical component of my vehicle seems like something i'd break.
It would be easier than you think Rob. I have confidence in you. Just get 3" wide jawed vice grip. Adjust the jaws till there snug then remove them and turn the knob 1/2 turn then begin. Move it down the flange 2/3 of the width of the jaw till you have gone all the way around the tank. save the short ends for last. With the naked eye you wont see much of a difference and that's good. It usually doesn't take much.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Nov 2012, 09:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What have you got to lose? Crimp it as Busted suggests. If you break it crimping it, buy the new one. I would be shocked if you cracked it. When I replaced the radiator on both PT's, I took the tanks off to see how badly they were plugged. I didn't intend to salvage either, so I thought I'd break the tanks off with a 5 lb sledge. Those tanks are really tough. I had to pry the crimp open on both to get the tanks off.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

Old 27 Nov 2012, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
What have you got to lose? Crimp it as Busted suggests. If you break it crimping it, buy the new one. I would be shocked if you cracked it. When I replaced the radiator on both PT's, I took the tanks off to see how badly they were plugged. I didn't intend to salvage either, so I thought I'd break the tanks off with a 5 lb sledge. Those tanks are really tough. I had to pry the crimp open on both to get the tanks off.

Ron
time
If you're going to go through the steps to remove it, then to crimp it and reinstall it and it fails you've wasted a lot of time and effort.
My replacement was $89 shipped to my door in 2 days. Radiators4less
If you can get a new one for $54, i say do it
Remove the old one.
install the new one.
do it once.
do it right.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer