Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can a "Re-flash" fix any issues?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Can a "Re-flash" fix any issues?

I still have the same rough idle, especially with the A/C on, that was present when I got my 05 PT Turbo-Lite a few months ago.

My mechanic says it may need to be re-flashed by the dealer, at a cost of about $150. I'm curious if such a thing has solved any problems for other folks here. Sure would like to know before I drop a rock-and-a-half on my PT at Christmas time.

For those who have not been following my efforts to fix the rough (and slightly 'loping' idle), I have;

-installed new plugs (iridium)
-installed new plug wires (non-OEM 8.5mm ones)
-installed new IAC valve
-installed new PCV valve
-cleaned the MAP sensor
-cleaned the throttle body
-ran a couple of cans of Seafoam through the gas tank
-new air filter
-new battery

Last edited by trooplewis; 27 Nov 2012 at 10:34 pm.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can a "Re-flash" fix any issues?

i see you never put a new radiator fan in. that's probably the culprit, especially if it gets worse when the ac is on. check amazon or rockato for a dorman fan. less than $100 and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm
Young Cruiser

The fan seems to be working normally, and the idle is rough even when the A/C is off, but not as bad as when it is on.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooplewis View Post
I still have the same rough idle, especially with the A/C on, that was present when I got my 05 PT Turbo-Lite a few months ago.

My mechanic says it may need to be re-flashed by the dealer, at a cost of about $150. I'm curious if such a thing has solved any problems for other folks here. Sure would like to know before I drop a rock-and-a-half on my PT at Christmas time.

For those who have not been following my efforts to fix the rough (and slightly 'loping' idle), I have;

-installed new plugs (iridium)
-installed new plug wires (non-OEM 8.5mm ones)
-installed new IAC valve
-installed new PCV valve
-cleaned the MAP sensor
-cleaned the throttle body
-ran a couple of cans of Seafoam through the gas tank
-new air filter
-new battery
May be a vacuum leak. So many lines to check. BTW if you have the old IAC can you send it before you throw it away. I have a cold start issue over the summer months.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 02:03 am
Young Cruiser

I've tried spraying some "Thrust" around the intake manifold, but have not found any spots that seem to be affected by it. I may have to spend some more time with that idea before attempting a re-flash.

I'll have to look around and see if I still have the old IAC
Old 28 Nov 2012, 10:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Try hooking up a Vacume gauge and see what it says. You can find you tube clips on how to read one. I also use the spray carb spray over everything.

You seem to get mixed results with FI and even worse with a turbo! The carb spray thing seemed to work much better when cars had..carbs!
Old 28 Nov 2012, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
Try hooking up a Vacume gauge and see what it says. You can find you tube clips on how to read one. I also use the spray carb spray over everything.

You seem to get mixed results with FI and even worse with a turbo! The carb spray thing seemed to work much better when cars had..carbs!
Is there a difference in the contents of throttle body cleaner and carb cleaner? i dont think it has as much to do with having a carb or no carb as it does with the contents of the spray
And, does it matter if a turbo is in the loop if we're talking about vacuum?
Just asking as i don't know
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 28 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
Is there a difference in the contents of throttle body cleaner and carb cleaner? i dont think it has as much to do with having a carb or no carb as it does with the contents of the spray
And, does it matter if a turbo is in the loop if we're talking about vacuum?
Just asking as i don't know
Hey OurPTGT. There used to be a difference between the two products, but that may have changed. They are both combustible, as far as looking for a vacuum leak goes. Not a method I recommend. I had a tech working for me that found this out the hard way. It only took about a month for his eyebrows to grow back.

As to the turbo question, it shouldn't at idle. I am not a turbo expert, so someone may have a better answer.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 28 Nov 2012, 08:33 pm
Young Cruiser

The right way to check it is with starting fluid, like Thrust.
BTW, the stuff is EXTREMELY flammable, so you have to be careful with it, especially when spraying it around hot things lilke the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by trooplewis; 28 Nov 2012 at 08:51 pm.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

The safe way to check for a vacuum leak is with a stethoscope. An automotive stethoscope is inexpensive. Sears sells a decent one. You can also use a length of 5/8" heater hose to listen for that leak.

At one time GM authorized the use of propane to check for leaks. Same result as carb cleaner without the risk of puddling and igniting. Of the combustible products available, propane is the safest to use in this fashion. Combustibles will only give you a general area to search.

I highly recommend a stethoscope. No fire risk and more accuracy in pinpointing a small leak, and you get to keep your eyebrows.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)