Old PT Cruiser - Keep it or Dump it?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By XtrmDC2
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By cruserdad1976

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2012, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Old PT Cruiser - Keep it or Dump it?

This is a tough message to write, we love our 2001 PT Cruiser Ltd Edition with 5 speed manual. We bought it used three years ago for $3,400 and haven't had any issues with it at all.

But that all changed, we passed 180,000KMs and I thought I would do the diligent thing and get the timing belt changed. (Also changed upstream O2 sensor, battery, water pump and other belts). Two weeks later, the engine light came on. And it started stalling at lights. First garage told me it was a P0172 fault and wasn't sure what was wrong, they would research it. Second garage same thing. Then took it to the Chrysler dealer and they said the MAP was cracked and needs replacing $400. But also said they weren't sure if this would fix the issue. Also at the same time, the tranny is acting up, it has twice completely disengaged and I could move the gear shifter in a complete circle without finding any gears. Pushing up into fifth clicked and then it worked again. Also rear struts are dying. Brakes probably need to be done. The LED lights behind the speedo are dying, can't see the orange needle at night anymore.

Now I have a 11 year old car that needs a lot of work. Body and interior is in great shape, and have two sets of good tires (summer + winter).
  • P0172 fault $400 - $???
  • Transmission $600
  • Rear struts $500???
  • Brakes $600?

I could have to spend an additional $2,100+ just to keep it running. Then what's next, fuel injectors? Clutch?

I need some advice, keep it or dump it?
Old 29 Nov 2012, 06:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Old PT Cruiser - Keep it or Dump it?

If you like the car, I would recommend to get a real mechanic, not a thief

All of those repairs can be pretty cheap if you buy your own parts and just pay for the labor....

For example:
p0172: MAP sensor $50 plus 15 mins to change...
Transmission: bad cable bushings..$20 and 1 hour to change them...
Rear shocks: $100 for both and 1/2 hour to change...
Brakes: all depends, but pads and shoes: $80 and drums and rotos: $120 plus 2 hours labor....

So far....$370 parts and $380 labor (4 hours @ $95 )
Old 29 Nov 2012, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
If you like the car, I would recommend to get a real mechanic, not a thief

All of those repairs can be pretty cheap if you buy your own parts and just pay for the labor....

For example:
p0172: MAP sensor $50 plus 15 mins to change...
Transmission: bad cable bushings..$20 and 1 hour to change them...
Rear shocks: $100 for both and 1/2 hour to change...
Brakes: all depends, but pads and shoes: $80 and drums and rotos: $120 plus 2 hours labor....

So far....$370 parts and $380 labor (4 hours @ $95 )
Normally I would agree but they have the European economy thing that our President wants for us. That means everything there cost three prices. So those parts prices are a little low. But I do agree they need to find someone trustworthy. Maybe a friend with some mechanical skills to help out. Approach one thing at a time. Most of your issues are documented here on the forum. If you do a little research and ask a few question along the way. You will find the answers to your problems.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2012, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I totaly aagree if you liek the car fix it the things you mentioned ate NOt what you were quoted I dont knwo where you are but in the US what XtrmDC2 says is correct the cluch cable seems prety easy fix the sensor is I think 1 bolt??? the read shock were easy and i had to grind off the old bolts the breaks are easy on a PT so even a person who does not like to work on his car and there is NOTHING wrong with that should be able to find some one to do it all for under $550
keep in mind it is as you say a 11 year old car and there will be things going out from now on so it will never be 'NEW" but still most of the stuff that is hard you already had done
XtrmDC2 and Busted_PT like this.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 07:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Normally I would agree but they have the European economy thing that our President wants for us. That means everything there cost three prices. So those parts prices are a little low. But I do agree they need to find someone trustworthy. Maybe a friend with some mechanical skills to help out. Approach one thing at a time. Most of your issues are documented here on the forum. If you do a little research and ask a few question along the way. You will find the answers to your problems.
Yeah, you are right....he may be in Europe or Canada...and there everything is double or triple than here
Old 29 Nov 2012, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the great advice. Yes, the use of KMs instead of miles gave away that I'm not in the US. Just a bit north in Canada.

I started out with a buddy helping but he didn't know where to start with the engine error code. The Chrysler dealer showed me the MAP and it is cracked.

With the transmission, agree it's probably just the cable bushings, but even my cheaper friend mechanic said I needed the whole cable kit from Chrysler. $380 + taxes.

I'm thinking of letting the Chrysler dealer finish the work to fix the stalling issue and then move to a cheaper mechanic to fix the other issues.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm
Young Cruiser

I would say goodby to that one. You should be able to buy one that is 04-05 for about $6000 that has 60k miles or so and not as many worries.