PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A hose detached from the top of my engine...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2012, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A hose detached from the top of my engine...

Ok so a few days ago i was driving and i noticed my car was getting a little hotter than usual. When i got home and opened the hood i saw a hose had detached. the black zip tie holding it on broke.

I have since reattached the hose with another zip tie. now Id like to know which system of the vehicle this tube effects and if the zip tie to reattach is enough of a fix or should there be a metal clamp holding it in place. Also should I take any other action to correct any problem driving about 14 miles with this tube detached could have caused. I have have already checked and refilled my coolant/antifreeze.

I tried locating this myself in the parts diagram catalog but i am really bad with exploding diagrams.

i have attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (3).JPG (44.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (40.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg photo (5).jpg (35.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 02 Dec 2012, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A hose detached from the top of my engine...

Part of the evap system. PCV valve hose. Hope that helps.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Dec 2012, 03:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Part of the evap system. PCV valve hose. Hope that helps.
Agreed. If the hose is soft enough that it requires a clamp to stay in place, I'd replace it. They are available at the dealer for less than $15.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 02 Dec 2012, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok for clarification sake..

the hose itself is quite soft so if put on the valve without at tie or clamp it just pops off.. There was the black zip tie in place before hand which broke. and i see a bunch of other zip ties just like it holding wires and such together throughout out the car. But most other hoses are secured with a metal clamp..

should this hose be clamp in place or does it usually just sit over the valve?

Also would this hose coming unattached be the cause of losing all my coolant (i live in fl so i find it odd to use the word antifreeze) ?

and aside from replacing the hose or just getting a new clamp is there anything else i should be concerned about happening because the hose popped off?

sorry im just really bad with cars...

oh and how hard is it to replace the whole hose. Ive tried to follow the hose to see where it goes but i loose track of it once it goes under the manifold cover thingy..
Old 02 Dec 2012, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Now im also slightly concerned because ive owned this car (purchased it from the original owner) for about a year and 3 months.. and while searching the parts catalog i realize that my PT is a 2.4L now are all 2.4L's also turbo or are there non-turbo 2.4L '01 PT cruiser touring editions?

Ive been reading on the forums about using synthetic oil in the turbo but since ive had the car i only use 5w30 regular oil. I even asked the original owner what type of oil she was using and she said regular oil. so thats what i went with..

thanks for the help
Old 02 Dec 2012, 04:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

There all 2.4 but the 2.4 turbos have different parts. Yours is a non turbo though.

That hose has nothing to do with coolant, its a breather for the valve cover only. Also antifreeze is not only to protect against freezing temps but will also raise the boiling temp for overheating conditions
Old 02 Dec 2012, 04:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A few words about the hose (your OP): The pictures suggest to me that the hose was not original. If it is soft, it was probably not suitable for use in the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system and the oily blow-by gasses from the PCV valve have damaged the rubber. This happened to me when I used 'vacuum hose' for my PVC. Replace it with suitably sized fuel line hose or the correct Chrysler part. Clamps are a good idea, even if not necessary.

Pull off the plastic motor cover and you should be able to see where the other end of the hose connects. It is easy to change.
Hose is pictured here: http://www.ptcompany.co.uk/catalogue/popups/eh1.htm

The only way I can see that the disconnected hose could be associated with the overheating is that, when off the PCV valve, the hose was allowing unmetered air to be sucked into the intake manifold causing a somewhat lean fuel mixture. Running lean could cause the motor to run hotter than it should.
That said, losing all of your coolant suggests other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post
... are there non-turbo 2.4L '01 PT cruiser touring editions?

Your car is not turbo; no 2001 cars were turbos

Ive been reading on the forums about using synthetic oil in the turbo but since ive had the car i only use 5w30 regular oil. I even asked the original owner what type of oil she was using and she said regular oil. so thats what i went with..

Synthetic oil is good but any quality 5/w30 oil is acceptable. Check your oil frequently, top up as necessary and change oil no less than twice a year (read your owner's manual for suggested oil changes).

thanks for the help

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 02 Dec 2012 at 05:17 pm. Reason: added link to picture
Old 02 Dec 2012, 05:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I believe this is the hose you supposed to have there..

Mopar 4777971AA PT Cruiser Make Up Air Tube 2001 Early 2002 | eBay
Old 02 Dec 2012, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thanks everyone.. Looks like ill be getting my hands dirty sometime this week..

Now is it safe to drive short distances with zip ties holding the hose in place until i can find time to replace it with the proper hose, Im guessing my gas mileage will be a little off till i get it fixed properly.. Ive been noticing a decreased mileage over the last few months which probably means that the tube has been slowly having a bad affect on the fuel to air ratio over time.. Im just glad i noticed it shortly after coming loose..

Honestly my father and husband think im insane because im constantly looking under the hood and checking fluid levels or complaining about minor problems to them.. When I called my father about this hose his solution to the problem was to not drive the car until he could come look at it.

I was also skeptical about the car leaking out all of its coolant because of that hose.. the last time I had an oil change I told them I suspected a small leak in the radiator, they said they would check it out and told me the leak isnt from the radiator.. Where should i look next to locate a leak? and how would i spot the leak.

Im constantly checking under the car for leaks but never see any. the car has overheated on me a few times to the point where its almost dry under the radiator cap. (not the resevoir) I have managed to get a feel for the car enough so that i know when to add more fluids plus i can smell coolant when it starts to get low.. Im not sure if the PT has a low fluid light on the dash like my last car did the temp gage on the dash only lights up when its at the point of overheating.

perhaps the improper hose is just causing the engine to run hotter thus boiling off the coolant? I know that the original owner replace the radiator about a year before i purchased the car.
Old 02 Dec 2012, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I believe this is the hose you supposed to have there..

Mopar 4777971AA PT Cruiser Make Up Air Tube 2001 Early 2002 | eBay
Hey Xtrm. That is the wrong hose for replacing the soft hose on the OP's. The one she needs goes from the PCV valve to the intake, the suction side. The hose in the link is the fresh air side of the system. It goes from the valve cover to the air intake hose.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)