PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I didn't learn

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2012, 05:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default I didn't learn

As a general suggestion, I experienced light drippage last year when I switched to full synthetic.. I steered away, adding "noleak" and conventional. It worked.
So what do I do this fall, again seduced by a deal on synth? Yup... and.?? Did it leak again? Yup.
Anyone have this issue? And if so, am I alone in never learning?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I didn't learn

odd that synt would leak its the same as the dino oil but if it does then id guess you are correct in your fix
Old 03 Dec 2012, 05:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Something else is going on. The old "synthetic causes leaks" wisdom simply doesn't apply to modern synthetics. If your engine leaks with a synthetic oil, it's because it has a leak. Perhaps you are using a thinner oil *and* synthetic?

'86 XR4Ti, switched to synthetic at 263,000 miles
'84 Suburban, switch to synthetic at 319,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2012, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Synthetic is thinner when cold- That's the value of it-
No one wants the molasses 30W at -10F
Old 03 Dec 2012, 06:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thesameguy is correct. It's not the synthetic itself that's causing the leak, it's a bad seal for whatever component is leaking. Synthetic will leak through a smaller opening than conventional will. Just replace whatever seal leaks when you fill with synthetic, and you'll be fine.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

SAE grade and API class oil values are the same regardless of composition material. There are 3 types, Petroleum,synthetic and a combination of synthetics and petroleum or synthetic blend.

Depending on the viscosity used will determine its W or winter value.i.e 10w30. A synthetic can have the same Viscosity Improvers so either can be as good in sub zero temperature. Synthetic oil do not have depressant additives like petroleum oils. So this means they both are the same when cold, unless the oil container warns otherwise. You need to look at the operating specifications of each specific oil to determine how useful in any specific range of needed operation it will be.
There is no scientific fact to support synthetic's flowing through smaller flow area's.
It would be very unusual and not likely for a synthetic oil by itself causing leaks?

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Dec 2012 at 06:38 pm. Reason: last line added
Old 03 Dec 2012, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wont cause a leak but it will show you a leak that you have for say a bad cam seal, valve cover seal and crank seal. For what ever reason if you have a leak somewhere synth wont hid it. You should fix the leak regardless which oil you run.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm
Young Cruiser

I hate to disagree and I know it's labeled a myth, but my experience says there may be some truth to it.

After I bought my PT in 2002, I ran it with the break in dino oil for 6 months. No oil leaks anywhere, at all, on a brand new engine. So far so good. I then decided to change the oil to synthetic on my first oil change. Within a week, the cam sensor and valve cover all started leaking oil and leaking enough to drip on the ground.

I waited until the next oil change, put back in regular oil and replaced the valve cover and cam sensor seals. No big oil leaks on that regular oil after all these years either.

My other vehicle, a Toyota FJ Cruiser, came with synthetic already in the engine from the factory, and it's 0W-20, pretty thin stuff. It has never leaked.........yet. Maybe it's a myth about leaks occurring switching from dino oil to synthetic, but I'll never do it on any future vehicle that doesn't already come with synthetic from the factory.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 04 Dec 2012, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My thoughts are that the sludge that regular oil can leave plugs the leaks. The detergents in sythetic remove the sludge and the leak isn't plugged any more and leaks.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2012, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
My thoughts are that the sludge that regular oil can leave plugs the leaks. The detergents in sythetic remove the sludge and the leak isn't plugged any more and leaks.
This is what I always heard. That's why you don't put synthetic in a higher mileage car. It cleans while it flows and will remove the sludge causing leaks. I have no experience either way as I always run dino oil. So it could be myth for all I know.