PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT cruise running hot problems!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronpolley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 PT cruise running hot problems!!

Hi guys, newbee here to the forum..I bought a 01 PT cruiser, 40,000 miles. A guy had hit and deer, all that I know is that he drove it about 5 miles afterward. He replaced all the front end parts, including new radiator, hoses, timing belt, thermostat, and head gasket. Some parts were replaced due to it running hot after he replaced things that were damaged. We can drive it 20 or so miles before it gets hot. It doesn't smoke or steam out the tail pipe. Antifreeze is going somewhere. It has been bleeded to get out air..I hooked the fan up to run all the time to eliminate it. I've been told it's a cracked or warped head, theirs no water in oil and just can't tell if the water pump is leaking due to antifreeze everywhere, coolant doesn't come back out the cap or overflow. I think it's coming out around the head somewhere which make me think it's a cracked head..The only thing that sways my opinion on it being a cracked head is the fact their is NO STEAM or NO WATER IN OIL. I know when pressure builds up it's gonna go somewhere..Does anyone have an opinion what it could be, I've not had a chance to tear into it yet..just like to have a good idea what to look at first...thanks guys..great forum..hope i put this in the right sub forum if not feel free to move..again thanks Mods

Last edited by fgpatton; 03 Dec 2012 at 11:07 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 12:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT cruise running hot problems!!

If the guy drove it for 5 miles after the accident, there's a good chance the coolant leaked out and the engine overheated and cracked something. If there's no coolant in the oil or coming out as steam in the tailpipe, it's leaking straight out the block or head somewhere. And it may only do it while driving.

The HOAT coolant in the PT is a bright pink orange color. It will show up very well as a orange streak if it's seeping out and running down the engine, most likely on the back side of the engine too. Jack the car up, crawl under and look around thoroughly. You might want to take off the passenger side plastic wheel well shield that covers the A/C belt and check if there is any coolant seepage from the coolant pump, front or back, especially from that big seal at the back of the pump that the lower radiator hose pipe goes to.

You didn't say if the coolant pump was replaced, but something could have been damaged with that internally, like a broken impeller. It sounds like that side of the engine was impacted in the accident. If the timing belt was replaced, it's too bad the coolant pump wasn't replaced at the same time. The timing belt has to come off to replace the pump.

The only other thing is to have the cooling system checked at a repair shop that has the test equipment to see if any exhaust is getting into the cooling system and boiling it off. If it is, there's probably a crack in the block or head.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 04 Dec 2012, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What I'd do is steam clean engine if possible - if not, clean it thoroughly, then open hood and run it until you see coolant coming out, and you should be able to see from where.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2012, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

fgpatton, it still wouldn't hurt to take off that passenger side wheel well splash shield, take a good look first, then clean off the engine and run it to see if you can spot the leak. At least the shield will be out of the way to make things easier to clean.

Old 04 Dec 2012, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

While changing my water pump and timeing belt I saw lots of corrosion in the inlet pipe behind the pump,I removed the pipe and found severe corrosion of the hole and the O-ring with fresh coolant all in the area.You may want to check this out on yours.It goes on from the front,not the timeing side.Hope its something this easy.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Yeah, that big pipe is coated with some kind of paint or powdercoat, which tends to corrode under rubber hoses and seals. Once that paint flakes off, it will not seal again very well unless all the paint is removed. But once the paint is gone, the pipe rusts.

Old 05 Dec 2012, 05:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the thermostat housing's, upper is plastic and lower is cast. Could get broken in an accident.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Dec 2012, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to all replies. My wife had heard about bars leak..We put some of it in to see if it would help..I drove it all day today and it never got hot till she drove it about 30 more miles. I put about 70 miles on it before she had put those 30 on it. So this kinda tells me it's something to do with the head..I know bars leak was a trial deal or perhaps a band aid. I see theirs a product called blue devil, i noticed it is guranteed to work or money back..but heard it can cause clogs and such..