Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Questions about engine swap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Questions about engine swap.

I know this has been asked before, but I just want to make absolutely sure on this before getting into it.

I have a friend that has an 03 turbo that he put some money into. It got rear ended. He bought it back from the insurance company and purchased another 03 turbo that was going cheap. His intentions are to just swap his old engine and front suspension into the new 03. He said that I could have the turbo engine from the new 03 along with the PCM and wiring harness. The problem is this... I got an 01 Limited. Would this swap work?

Thanks for any advice guys.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Questions about engine swap.

Go to Chris15 post time to finish the project.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2012, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No reason it wouldn't work if you take enough stuff off the '03 - for example, I believe in '03 all GTs had ABS, if yours doesn't the '03 PCM will expect it...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know that ABS was an option on the 01 Limited.. Is there an easy way to find out if mine does have ABS?? Besides slamming on breaks in water...

Also.. what all would I have to get from the donor 03? It's a manual.. my Limited is an auto. Like I said, I'm already able to get the engine with all sensors, wiring harness, and PCM.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If, below the radio, you have a rocker switch that says "TRAC", then you have ABS.
In '01, '02, and I think '03, ABS was paired with Traction Control (TRAC).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. No trac toggle according to wife. I do however remember that at one point I did have an ABS light come on when I was having some harness issues.. Oh well. I guess I'll read thru Chris15's posts a bit more to see what he did as far as srt4 internals till I can get a look inside my Limited for the toggle.

Ok. Got a look at it. I do have a traction control toggle.

Last edited by dncwalk; 05 Dec 2012 at 04:03 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2012, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, and you will have rear disks with ABS on an '01.

Old 06 Dec 2012, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You just can't do it without a harness and pcm change. It just gets to compilacated. Even the block is different far as the crank sensor placement.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well.. going the route that Chris15 using another core. Will be doing the swap mid-March. Thanks for the input guys.