Advertisements
Tech Help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2012, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tech Help

Hello everyone. Just picked up an 02 PT Touring Edition w/ 154 miles in great shape. I assume NON-GT, it just has the 2.4 in it and not that peppy but I'm comparing to the V-8...LOL!!! It does say 16 valve DOHC on the top......

Car seems to run great and all except it has a little vibration at idle...which reading on here a lot of people says was related to needing a basic tune-up...which I'm in the process of doing today along with thermostat and upper hose.

Q 1: When I pulled out the boot on the #1 cylinder, it had oil on it and when I removed the plug, the socket and plug both were coated in a fine layer of oil....what could cause this? The #2, 3 & 4 all were fine and not like that, although the #4 plug was carbon burnt bad!! There is evidence of past oil leak or blow by or whatever you want to call it on top of the engine....possibly where there could have spilled oil filling it up since the neck is close??? Just curious!!

Q 2: It had Bosch double platinums in it and I went with regular Bosch PLatinums...will this cause any issues?

Q 3: One last thing....when I pulled the intake cover off to get to the plugs...there was a slight hint of oil I think it may be on the inside of the intake, where the ports are....any concern with this??

As it shows, I'm not a mechanic but full of questions!! Thanks guys & gals!!

Thanks all...I'm a member of many forums out there and look forward to part of this one!! Some great info on these places!!

Last edited by txYahoo; 04 Dec 2012 at 03:44 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tech Help

There are rubber "grommets" that are in the valve cover - one for each plug hole - they can leak. Unless oil is excessive, most people don't bother replacing.
Those plugs should be fine - gap at 0.040 - gap reduced per service bulletin from 0.050 in manual.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2012, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To continue with QSD's response, Bosch Platinum will be fine, follow QSD's advice on gap. Clean everything up and change the PCV valve. Use the correct torque on the upper manifold and plugs. The Turbo models didn't come out till 2003.

Old 04 Dec 2012, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would also do the valve cover gasket. Can get on eBay for as little as $12 free shipping. Can get Fel-pro for $20.
Vibration could also be motor mounts, or improperly adjusted replacements.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2012, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I would also do the valve cover gasket.
That would be my preference as well - doing the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and intake manifold o-rings all at once on a high mileage car is good, cheap maintenance.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 07:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Per the FAQs on the Autolite site... use double platinum. In my experience, use of single platinum on a waste spark DIS will result in misfire due to center electrode erosion. Another option is copper but they will need to be changed more often (every 25-30K).

Last edited by Carl48; 05 Dec 2012 at 10:24 am.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the comments!! Got the minor tune up all done and it seems to run a little better...but not as good as MPGs...could this be from the spark plugs, double to single platinums??

I suspect the vibration could be a motor mount because the last service done on it, after reading the paper work it recommended replacing the upper motor mount...how hard is this to do? I read a few posts om here about people using urethane instead of replacing...I'll have to read more about this I guess....
Old 17 Dec 2012, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK...as Carl48 said above on the single platinums causing misfire....is this something I would tell with it running?

All I have done was chane the plugs & wires. Plugs BEFORE were double platinum Bosch, I went back with single platinum plugs. Would doing this cause the MPGs to drop? When I say drop, I mean they have dropped 3-5 mpg. We are not heavy footers and I have noticed a big difference!! The running of the engine doesn't seem to have changed at all...but I'm no mechanic!

If its that big of a deal...I'll go back with the doubles....just wanna find out what the pros here think!! Thanks ya'll
Old 17 Dec 2012, 05:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

There is no magic in any specialty or "premium" spark plug that will provide more power or mileage than a fresh, regular plug. The actual spark will fire better from a new, sharp corner of the electrode and those sharp edges will erode over time and with extreme wear can cause a miss. So maybe a double plat can last a while longer because of having more corners to spread the wear around. I personally don't like them because I prefer to gap my plugs for my driving style and the double tips are more difficult, or in some cases, impossible to change.

You should not see a mileage drop when changing old plugs to new plugs of any type. If there is an actual mileage drop and not an imagined one, double check that the plug wires are firmly on, intake manifold gaskets not leaking and all hoses or anything else you touched is right and tight. You would be surprised how some small loose piece or small leak can affect performance. Don't over tighten the intake bolts because that can cause more problems than it fixes. It's more common to have an intake gasket shift than for a bolt to be loose.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by txYahoo View Post
OK...as Carl48 said above on the single platinums causing misfire....is this something I would tell with it running?
The center electrode erosion on single platinum plugs (which can occur on a waste spark distributorless igniton system such as on the PT) will not be obvious until they have seen thousands of miles of use.

Make sure the plug wires are well seated on the plugs...you must hear a "click" when the terminal in the boot engages the top terminal on the plug.