PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT rough idle problem????

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2012, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT rough idle problem????

I just purchased an 06 PT for my daughters first car. It was a great deal. However at idle it runs rough. When I say rough I mean that you can feel the engine shaking. Especially when stopped at a light or just sitting idling. The car is a 5 speed manual. It has the check engine light on but the only code is for bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor. That should not cause the rough condition. It does not have any codes for misfire or anything else. The used car dealer that I had bought it from just put a new timing belt and water pump in it. I am wondering if he has 1 of the cams off a tooth and that is causing the rough idle??? The car also felt underpowered when I drove it. But I have never driven a base model PT before. I thought that might just be me. The car only has 71k miles on it. Hopefully all you PT mechanics out there can come to my rescue.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 09:21 am
Banned

Question Re: 06 PT rough idle problem????

Was it like that when you bought it?

Seems odd a used car dealer would change the timing belt with that mileage.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 09:26 am
Banned

Question Re: 06 PT rough idle problem????

Was it like that when you bought it?

Seems odd a used car dealer would change the timing belt with that mileage

Check the wires, plugs, iac.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT rough idle problem????

Assuming you are not running defrost or AC. Which would be maybe the cooling fan. There is a adjustment for the engine mounts that can help with vibration. But it really seems like you may be correct on the belt timing.
zamfir2 and Jollanza like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Dec 2012, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

It was like that when I bought it. The dealer told me that he changes the belt and water pump on all cars he gets over 70k. The ac in the car doesn't work. It idles rough if the defrost is on or off. Is the 2.4 an interference engine? I have been a mechanic for many years but don't have any experience with this engine. If the general thought turns out to be the timing belt, I will take it apart and check it. Plugs and wires all seem good. Also I assume it it was a plu or wire it would have a code for misfire. It does not. The roughness can't be felt while in motion. Only at idle, car also seems to use more fuel than it should, and seems underpowered. But like I said before it could just be me.
Old 05 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They don't get great mileage when there right. The 02 will cost you on that as well. These cars are heavy but usually move decent. A plug or wire will miss under a load. You said yours is smooth. Check the top mount adjustment in the ser. manual or Chilton man. This us know to cause a vibration.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Dec 2012, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: 06 PT rough idle problem????

Probably not related to timing belt!
More than likely one of several other issues:
- It may be the O2 sensor or bad connection. In putting on my after market air intake, I broke the clip on the O2 sensor connector and it would work loose, causing a rough idle.
-Being a 4 cylinder, you tend to hear the engine more at low RPMs...rather than 8 overlapping sounds of 8 cylinders. Even my new 2010 tends to sound a little like a 4 cylinder diesel.
-My 2006 ran much smoother and quieter with a new set of good aftermarket plugs and wires. Crane & MSG.

Yes! And the fan issue too.....when the fan kicks in, the car is supposed to adjust throttle to compensate.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 06 Dec 2012 at 11:48 am.
Old 06 Dec 2012, 06:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think the timing belt is off a tooth. When I changed mine, it took a couple tries to get it right, and it ran exactly the way you describe when it was wrong. The good news is that the 2.4 is a non-interference engine, although it's possible, but not common, for the valves to hit each other if the timing belt breaks.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 05:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Been working on this problem. I can jury rig it to increase the idle. I cleaned the throttle body manually. It made it idle better. Now I have put Superman type injector cleaner in. I ran it 6 miles and it seems to be running better. We'll see. At times the AC blows hot. I hear that the 2 speed fan effects this. That is AC 101. Why a 2 speed fan? I am sticking with the fuel system for starters. I thought backfire and dieseling would come from wrong timing? Any thoughts?
Old 23 Feb 2013, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Puddin
Talking Re: 06 PT rough idle problem????

GOOTA LOVE A PT. along with that its problems. TODAY mine is getting a bit of a update. Throttle Body cleaning, plugs/wires, Plemin (?) gasket, radiator cap and Dieelectric grease on the boot of the plug. And SEAFOAM was added last week with a full tank of 93 O. ALL FOR THE DREADED ROUGH IDLE. I cant figure this thing out at all. BUT if you havent tried any of these ideas, I will try them for you today and let you know.
I have tried everything else. Wish me luck