Timing Belt Woes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Badglas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Woes

2006 PT Cruiser NA 112000 mi. I usually do the work myself but didn't feel like doing this project.

Had the timing belt done 2 weeks ago by a backyard mechanic friend of a friend situation. It was running a little rough after we picked it up; let the wife drive it for a week and ended up taking it back to him to double check the timing. "Yep, it's fine don't know why it's running rough."

Wednesday I used the peephole in the timing belt cover to check the timing marks and a wrench to turn the main pulley. I can only see one mark on each pulley at a time, looks like the marks are 2-3 marks off of each other. From what I've read the marks should be lined up perfectly at this point. Is that right?

I also found the bolt for the center engine mount is half an inch out from flush and actually sticking into the fenderwell so much that the little plug won't go on.

I took it back to this guy on Wednesday and explained the issues. He said he'd get right to it. Just found out he is swearing the timing is still right and hasn't even taken it apart yet.

This guy charged me $225 for the job including new motor mounts. Should I just call it at $150 in labor to install the mounts and repair the car myself?

I'm really kicking myself for letting this guy touch my car. Lesson learned.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfton65 View Post
2006 PT Cruiser NA 112000 mi. I usually do the work myself but didn't feel like doing this project.

Had the timing belt done 2 weeks ago by a backyard mechanic friend of a friend situation. It was running a little rough after we picked it up; let the wife drive it for a week and ended up taking it back to him to double check the timing. "Yep, it's fine don't know why it's running rough."

Wednesday I used the peephole in the timing belt cover to check the timing marks and a wrench to turn the main pulley. I can only see one mark on each pulley at a time, looks like the marks are 2-3 marks off of each other. From what I've read the marks should be lined up perfectly at this point. Is that right?

I also found the bolt for the center engine mount is half an inch out from flush and actually sticking into the fenderwell so much that the little plug won't go on.

I took it back to this guy on Wednesday and explained the issues. He said he'd get right to it. Just found out he is swearing the timing is still right and hasn't even taken it apart yet.

This guy charged me $225 for the job including new motor mounts. Should I just call it at $150 in labor to install the mounts and repair the car myself?

Yes, That bolt is just plan not even holding anything. So the mount adjustment certainly can't be right. Which is another reason it vibrates. There are various pictures on her that shows the proper timing line up. Also if he didn't torque the cam bolts properly, you can shear a sprocket alignment pin and cause you some major grief. We all are here to help you through the steps that you may need to get through this.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfton65 View Post

Hey halfton. Sorry to hear about the problems. If I understand your post, you paid $225 for timing belt and motor mounts installed; parts included. If I'm correct, that just barely covers parts. Doesn't leave much for labor, which leads me to believe your mechanic had no idea what he was getting into.

Considering the problems you've found to date, I think I would start over myself. If the main motor mount through bolt is hanging out, it was obviously not torqued to spec. Makes me wonder what else was overlooked.

There are many threads that will help you get through the repair. Most have pictures.

Just my opinion, but I'd make sure the tensioner, idler, and water pump get replaced while you're in there.

Good luck.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Hey halfton. Sorry to hear about the problems. If I understand your post, you paid $225 for timing belt and motor mounts installed; parts included. If I'm correct, that just barely covers parts. Doesn't leave much for labor, which leads me to believe your mechanic had no idea what he was getting into.

Considering the problems you've found to date, I think I would start over myself. If the main motor mount through bolt is hanging out, it was obviously not torqued to spec. Makes me wonder what else was overlooked.

There are many threads that will help you get through the repair. Most have pictures.

Just my opinion, but I'd make sure the tensioner, idler, and water pump get replaced while you're in there.

Good luck.

Ron
It was $225 including upper and lower engine mounts. He charges $40 per hour and said it was 4 billable hours.

I was previously told he had lots of experience with PTs. Obviously a lie.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Pic 1:timing marks from before
Pic 2:Current marks

Car was already apart again before I could pick it up so I let him finish the job. Everything looks good so far, no telling what is hiding so I'll be double checking a lot of stuff this week.

Car runs and idles great now. Sorry the pictures suck, the ifone is the only camera I could fit by the timing cover peephole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561[1].jpg (79.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0581[1].jpg (78.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 10 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

looks like you paid someone who "knows a little" to do a very complex job. $150 in labor for the mounts is cheap. i would cut my losses and take it to the dealer and have them reset the timing. probably cost another $150 but worth it in the long run. Especially seeing as having the dealer do all of that would have been around $1,700 to begin with :-)
Old 10 Dec 2012, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
looks like you paid someone who "knows a little" to do a very complex job. $150 in labor for the mounts is cheap. i would cut my losses and take it to the dealer and have them reset the timing. probably cost another $150 but worth it in the long run. Especially seeing as having the dealer do all of that would have been around $1,700 to begin with :-)
I don't know about where your at, but you can't get the belt put in time for anywhere near $150 by the dealers around these parts. It takes close to the same labor too do the realignment of the belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Dec 2012 at 06:13 pm.