Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'07 PT no spark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2012, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '07 PT no spark

Working on an '07 non turbo. Had to change the head. My ratchet contacted the hot lead at the starter. I now have no spark. What did I burn up? I find all fuses good. Customers car so I cant have the car down for long. Any ideas?
Old 07 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: '07 PT no spark

You may have screwed up the TIPM. It can be flashed or reset by a dealer but if it fried it you are talking big bucks.

On the 06's and up you have to be very careful with the electrical. In 06 they went to the Canbus system and use the TIPM to control it all.
Old 08 Dec 2012, 02:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
You may have screwed up the TIPM. It can be flashed or reset by a dealer but if it fried it you are talking big bucks.

On the 06's and up you have to be very careful with the electrical. In 06 they went to the Canbus system and use the TIPM to control it all.
Where is that located? What is a TIPM?
Old 08 Dec 2012, 02:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Total Integrated Power Module. It is a computer that monitors the electrical system by a bus system.

It communicates with a lot of the electrical components on the car and if it detects an issue with one of those it will shut that circuit down till the issue is fixed. It is located under the hood I believe on the left side towards the back

A Google search will tell you all you need to know about it. But I have to ask. You said it was a customers car so I am guessing you operate a shop. Shouldn't you know this stuff before working on a car with this kind of electronics?

I am just kind of bewildered that you have to ask for help and when I tell you the TIPM you come back and ask what's that. Shouldn't you be aware of this stuff beforehand?

It could also be an issue with the PCM. The short could have screwed it up. The whole electrical system is very complicated because of the Canbus system.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 08 Dec 2012 at 02:51 am.
Old 08 Dec 2012, 03:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Total Integrated Power Module. It is a computer that monitors the electrical system by a bus system.

It communicates with a lot of the electrical components on the car and if it detects an issue with one of those it will shut that circuit down till the issue is fixed. It is located under the hood I believe on the left side towards the back

A Google search will tell you all you need to know about it. But I have to ask. You said it was a customers car so I am guessing you operate a shop. Shouldn't you know this stuff before working on a car with this kind of electronics?

I am just kind of bewildered that you have to ask for help and when I tell you the TIPM you come back and ask what's that. Shouldn't you be aware of this stuff beforehand?

It could also be an issue with the PCM. The short could have screwed it up. The whole electrical system is very complicated because of the Canbus system.
I'm a disabled vet working out of a small shop by myself. Even tho its a friend he's still a customer. I dont need a lecture but a solution to a problem. Thats why I came here. When I googled TIPM I dont find much helpful information.
Old 08 Dec 2012, 08:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Well from doing a Google search it may be the PCM. There just isn't a whole lot of info out there on the 06 and ups like there is for the first generation as far as troubleshooting the electrical system. Do you have a code reader? Is it setting any codes? You can do the key dance and pull any codes that way if needed.
Old 08 Dec 2012, 09:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The battery should be disconnected before doing any engine work especially with the newer TIPM equipped vehicles...a momentary mistake can be a big problem. That said, if you are certain that all you did was short the starter terminal to ground and if you are lucky then you may not have damaged any electronics...a short at that point is not in series with any electronics. My guess is that something may have been disturbed when the head was removed/replaced. Check all connectors and harnesses...especially make sure the cam position sensor and crank position sensor are properly installed and connected.

Last edited by Carl48; 09 Dec 2012 at 04:34 am. Reason: typo
Old 08 Dec 2012, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
The battery should be disconnected before doing any engine work especially with the newer TIPM equipped vehicles...a momentary mistake can be a big problem. That said, if you are certain that all you did was short the starter terminal to ground and if you are lucky then you may not have damaged any electronics...at short a that point is not in series with any electronics. My guess is that something may have been disturbed when the head was removed/replaced. Check all connectors and harnesses...especially make sure the cam position sensor and crank position sensor are properly installed and connected.
Thanks I'll look that up.